Alien firearms license
This page provides information about the application process for Alien Firearms Licenses. Please click here for an application.
Applying for an Alien Firearms License
The application process for an Alien Firearms License typically takes about 60 minutes to complete, including fingerprinting. However, because we do not take appointments and process on a first come, first served basis, please be advised that the process may take longer. When you apply, the following are required:
- You must live in King County.
- You must be a legal temporary (non-immigrant) resident alien residing in WA.
- You must have government issued ID with a photograph, though WA state driver’s license or ID card is preferred.
- You must have immigration documents, including BOTH passport & VISA, and an I-94 printout from the most current entry date. To obtain your I-94 number, please visit the US Department of Homeland Security’s website at https://i94.cbp.dhs.gov/.
- You must have a valid WA state hunting license, OR documentation of membership to a sport shooting club.
- The fee for an Alien Firearms License as of October 1, 2016 is $78.00.
- The waiting period to receive the Alien Firearms License is 60 days, and will be mailed once approved.
Renewing Alien Firearms License
There is no renewal process for an Alien Firearms License. Alien Firearms Licenses are good for two (2) years, and upon expiration, a new application must be submitted.
Replacing Alien Firearms License
The Sheriff’s Office will replace a lost, stolen or destroyed Alien Firearms License for license holders who currently live in King County; this service must be done in person. To receive a replacement license, you will need to bring your government issued ID with a photograph; WA state driver’s license or ID preferred. There is a $10 replacement fee for this service. Please note that replacement licenses will have the same expiration date as the original license.
Fees and Payment Methods
Fees may be paid by cash, personal check or money order. Please note that we do not accept second party checks, and are unable to process payment by cards (Visa, Mastercard, etc).
Personal check/money order requirements:
- Both will need to be made payable to King County Sheriff’s Office.
- Both require verification by two (2) pieces of identification, with one being a WA State driver’s license or ID card with a photograph.
- Checks must be preprinted, listing name, address, and phone number.
- Information on the check must match with details of customer’s ID.
More InformationFurther Information Regarding Alien Firearms Licenses may be obtained at: www.dol.wa.gov/business/firearms
Links to external sites do not constitute endorsements by King County. By visiting this and other
King County web pages, you expressly agree to be bound by terms and conditions of the site
© 2010 King County
Due to an increased volume of requests for CPLs and other fingerprinting services, you are asked to arrive by 2:00pm at the downtown Seattle courthouse location for any original CPL application and any other fingerprint services. Please arrive by 4:00pm if you need a replacement or renewal CPL. Please note, for fingerprint services (whether for CPL or other reason) wait times may exceed two hours. Thank you for your patience.
Locations and Times
King County Courthouse
516 Third Ave, Rm W-150
Seattle, WA 98104
Phone: (206) 263-2626
Hours: 8:30am - 4:30pm, weekdays
Closed weekends and holidays