skip to main content

Marriage licensing

Records and Licensing Services Division

Marriage Licensing
King County Administration Building
500 Fourth Ave., Suite 430
Seattle, WA 98104
Fax 206-205-8396

Customer Service Hours
Mon-Fri 8:30am-4:30pm

King County Marriage Licensing

Marriage licensing is a function of the King County Recorder's Office.

The Recorder's Office has moved to Suite 430 in the King County Administration Building, 500 Fourth Ave., Seattle

General information:

Notice: To verify whether your marriage application or certificate has been processed yet, please perform a search in our Records Search application. 

If your application or certificate appears in the index, it has been received by our office and is being processed.  If it is not yet in the index, we have not yet received/processed it. 
  • A Washington State marriage license is valid in Washington State only.
  • The application fee is $64. Cash and personal checks (with ID) are accepted; no credit or debit cards.
  • There is a three-day waiting period before the marriage can take place.
  • A marriage license is valid for 60 days.
  • A blood test or physical exam is not required in Washington State.
  • Same-sex couples are eligible to apply for a Washington State marriage license.
  • Mailed applications may be notarized and returned for processing, but the original application must be submitted along with the $64 fee, payable by personal check, money order, or cashier's check in U.S. funds.
  • For more information, click on the links below or contact the Recorder's Office at 206-477-6620.

Applying for a Marriage License

Getting Married

Certified Copies of Marriage Records

Name Change after Marriage

Related Links

Washington State Law Governing Marriage: Revised Code of Washington (RCW)

Annulment of Marriage

Filing for Divorce


The contents of this webpage are not intended as a comprehensive digest on marriage licensing and should not be construed as legal interpretation of the law or advice. If you have any questions or concerns about your legal rights or obligations with regard to marriage, you are encouraged to seek the advice of an attorney.