Skip to main content

What is a mobile food business?

Mobile food businesses include food carts, trailers, and trucks as well as food kiosks. Mobile food business owners must submit plans for review before construction, remodeling, or changing ownership takes place.

How to get a new mobile food business permit

How to renew an existing mobile food business permit

If you are renewing an existing food business permit (with no changes to ownership, facility, or menu) you can use the online services portal.

How to change ownership

You are strongly encouraged to contact the Food Plans Examiner before a change of ownership.

Contact: 206-263-7833 or

When changing ownership of an existing mobile food business, the original owner does not receive any refund of paid permit fees. New owners must submit menu, operational plans, use of commissary form, use of restroom agreement. and apply for a permit to operate.

These applications can only be mailed in, not submitted online. Please complete the application for change of ownership permit (466 KB) and mail it in with payment. Make checks payable to SKCDPH.

Mail to:

Public Health – Seattle & King County

Environmental Health

401 5th Avenue, Suite 1100

Seattle, WA 98104 

Employee requirements

  • Food Worker Card
    All employees of a food business must get a Washington State Food Worker Card. You can take the class and test online or go to any of our in-person classes.
  • Meat cutter license
    If you cut fresh beef, veal, lamb and/or pork, you will need to pass an exam to get a meat cutter license along with the food worker card exam.
  • MAST / alcohol server permits, Washington State Liquor and Cannabis Board
    Anyone who serves, mixes, sells, or supervises the sale of alcohol at a business with a liquor license must take the Mandatory Alcohol Server Training (MAST).