Beautiful landscaping that makes a difference
When it rains in King County, much of that water falls on roads, roofs, and other hard surfaces instead of soaking into the ground. It picks up pollutants like car oil and dog poop, and sometimes floods homes and neighborhoods before it finally flows into our streams, rivers, and coastal waters.
With Green Stormwater Infrastructure (GSI) landscaping like rain gardens, we can help filter and slow down this rainwater so it's clean and safe for us, our children, and fish and wildlife. GSI features can be installed anywhere- parking lots, sidewalks, or even your own backyard- and King County's RainScapes program makes it easy and affordable.
What GSI does for you
- Saves money on watering your landscaping
- Adds beautiful landscaping features
- Helps address flooding and property damage
- Can increase property values
- Doubles as wildlife habitat
- Creates green spaces for everyone to enjoy
Featured project: using cisterns to save water and money
- How it works: An above-ground water storage tank, called a cistern, will be installed at this Redmond home to capture rainfall from the roof and reuse it to water the lawn, landscaping, and fruit trees.
- Saving money and water: The property owner is excited about the potential cost savings that will come from using the cistern water to irrigate the site.
- Giving back to the environment: The property owner is interested in installing the cistern to benefit the local watershed and environment.
Let's transform your property together
We're your partners, every step of the way. We'll explore the options together- rain gardens, landscaping, and more- to find the perfect fit for you and your property.
Because we believe that GSI is for all of us, we'll cover the construction costs for all projects during this program's pilot phase and then pay for 100% of the first year's maintenance costs for projects on private property. And we'll continue to provide coaching and assistance for as long as you need it.
GSI is a team effort
We're one of many groups that are embracing GSI to help make our world a healthier and more beautiful place. We're excited to share what we've learned along the way, and to connect with and learn from others in the community. Together, we can make GSI practices more effective and accessible for everyone.
Find other GSI incentive programs being offered in Seattle and King County.