WA Cares Fund
State program to help with long-term care costs
Steps for opting out of the WA Cares Fund
If you meet the criteria and want to apply for a permanent exemption to the state’s long-term care program, the WA Cares Fund, and associated payroll deduction, follow the steps below.
- You must have purchased qualifying private long-term care insurance before Nov. 1, 2021.
- Apply for an exemption on the WA Cares Fund website.
- If your application is approved by the Employment Security Department (ESD), they will send you an exemption approval letter.
- You must present your exemption approval letter to all current and future employers. The ESD does not notify employers.
- Submit a copy of your exemption approval letter and your nine-digit PeopleSoft ID number by: