Council's budget review process and timeline
The King County Council has begun the process of reviewing the executive proposed 2021-2022 biennial King County budget. Due in part to the COVID-19 pandemic, the budget review process will differ from years past. Below is a summary of that process, including key dates and participants. Leading the process will be Councilmember Jeanne Kohl-Welles as Chair of the Budget and Fiscal Management Committee.
The budget process for Council began with King County Executive Dow Constantine’s presentation of his budget proposal to council on Sept. 22. Now that the budget has been transmitted, the council will hold a series of meetings and roundtable discussions to consider the proposal and make changes as deemed necessary. To expedite that process and allow councilmembers to focus on the budget, most committees will stand down until the budget is finalized.
The budget deliberations will include committee meetings and roundtable discussions focused on different aspects of the budget. Below is an outline of the schedule for that process:
- This Week: Budget and Fiscal Management Committee (BFM) briefing from the separately elected officials to present their proposed budgets to Council. 9:30 a.m. – noon (est) Wednesday, Sept. 30
- Week 1 (Oct. 5-9): Budget & Fiscal Management Committee initial briefings. Meetings set for 9:30 a.m. to noon Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday.
- Week 2 (Oct. 12-16): Roundtable meetings to conduct in-depth briefings of budgets aligned to a specific policy area. Each roundtable will be co-chaired by two councilmembers. Meetings daily from 9:30 a.m. to noon Tuesday through Friday.
- Week 3 (Oct. 19-23): Budget & Fiscal Management Committee final briefings on budgets that still need deliberation. Meetings 9:30 a.m. to noon on Tuesday and Wednesday, and one evening meeting for public comment (see details in next section)
- Week 4 (Oct. 26-30): BFM briefings on Executive proposed ordinances to support proposed budget. Meetings 9:30 a.m. to noon on Tuesday and Wednesday.
- Week 5 (Nov. 2-6): Deadlines for budget striking amendment and amendments to the striking amendment.
- Week 6 (Nov. 9-13): BFM meeting on Tuesday (9:30 a.m., Nov. 10) to take action on Executive proposed legislation related to the budget. BFM meeting on Thursday (9:30 a.m., Nov. 12) to take action on the biennial budget ordinance including striking amendment and any amendments therein. A backup BFM meeting is designated for Nov. 13 in case an additional meeting is necessary.
- Week 7 (Nov. 16-20): Special council meeting at 1 p.m. Tuesday, Nov. 17 to take final action on the 2021-22 biennial budget. A backup special council meeting is designated for Nov. 24 in case an additional meeting is necessary.
Below are the planned meetings that will include time for public comment. For information about participating in these meetings, please visit the public input page.
- Sept. 30 (Wed) – Budget and Fiscal Management Committee (BFM): 9:30 a.m. – 12 p.m. (est.). Public Comment period will be conducted after a briefing from the separately elected officials to present their proposed budgets to Council.
- Oct. 21 (Wed) – BFM 6 p.m. – 8 p.m. (est.)
- Nov. 12 (Thurs) – BFM: 9:30 a.m. – 12 p.m. (est.)
- Nov. 17 (Tues) – Special Full Council: 1 p.m. – 3 p.m. (est.)