Skip to main content
King County logo

The King County Superior Court Clerk's Office is a safe and private place to keep a will. Bring the original will to the clerk's office with a completed Will Repository Cover Sheet (form below) and $20, the clerk will accept, seal and store the will securely. No one can see it while you are still alive, unless they have a court order.

Leaving a will in the Will Repository does not make it a legal will or valid.  To learn if your will is valid, talk to a lawyer.  You are not required to leave your will in the Will Repository.  

Read the Washington State Law: Chapter 11.12.265 RCW Filing of original will with court before death of testator.

How to leave your Will at the Will Repository

  1. Fill out the Will Repository Cover Sheet, and
  2. Pay the $20.00 fee to leave the will in the Clerk's Will Repository.
  3. If you add information to your will, such as a Codicil, you must pay another $20.00 fee.  If you take your will out there is no fee.  However, if you deposit a new will later, you must pay another $20.00 fee.

The Clerk keeps track of all deposited wills.  For your privacy, the system lists only your name and date of birth.

Will Repository Brochure



Who can remove your Will from the Repository

No one can remove your will unless that person has a legally valid reason and the court approves. 

For example, your spouse or family would have to file a motion and proposed order with the court.  Then they would have to prove to the court that their reason for requesting removal of the will is valid.  If the court approves the motion, the requester would take the signed court order to the Clerk's Office and pick-up the will.

You, however, may add a new will or remove your will at any time.  Wills are stored at the King County Courthouse in Seattle.  If you would like to pick-up your will at the Clerk's Office in Kent, call the clerk's customer service line at 206-296-9300.


What happens to your Will when you die

When you die your will becomes a public record.  That means, anyone with a certified copy of your death certificate can ask the court to unseal your will.