Unclaimed Property in the Court's Registry
Standard instructions and forms for distribution
Have you have received a letter from the King County Clerk's Office notifying you that the Court's Registry may have unclaimed property (money or funds) that belong to you? If so, the following are general instructions created to help you verify that you are the rightful owner of the funds and the step to complete the process to receive an order of disbursement.
If you believe the Clerk is holding funds belonging to you, the following are an outline of the next steps:
- Complete and file with the clerk's office, a Motion to Disburse Funds. In this document clearly explain to the court why the funds should be disbursed to you and provide any supporting documentation.
- Fill out a proposed Order to Disburse Funds. Send a copy of the motion and proposed order draft to all other parties in the case.
- Complete the Declaration of Mailing of Motion and Order to Disburse Funds and file this with the clerk's office.
After waiting the required period of time to receive a response from any other party:
- If no response, submit the documents and no reply information to the court via Ex Parte via the Court.
- If an objection is received, file a Notice of Court Date - Ex Parte for the court to hear oral argument.
For more information, review the FAQs below and the Clerk's Unclaimed Property General Instructions document .