Video Proceeding Resources for Participants
Video Hearing Prep
Preparing for the video hearing:
- Watch the Zoom introductory videos
- To familiarize yourself with the Zoom functionality: Join a practice meeting.
- Test your internet connection or locate a free wireless (Wi-Fi) hotspot (see below).
- Download the Zoom App directly, or the download will kick-off when you click on the meeting link. Note: you do not need to set up an account to use the app.
Participating in the video hearing:
- A few minutes before the scheduled time, join the proceeding by clicking on the link provided by the Court. Before you are admitted, you will be asked to type in your name. Enter your full name and any other information the Court has asked you to provide. You will then be placed into a "waiting room." Do not hang up; please wait and the Court will admit you into the proceeding.
- At some point during the proceeding, you may be put into a "breakout room" for a private conversation. Only those in the room can hear the conversation. The Court will send you a message when it is time to return or you may choose to return by clicking on "Leave Breakout Room.".
- Once started, the matter will be recorded. Everything said will be captured and made part of the court record just as in a physical courtroom.
For a successful video court proceeding:
- Position the camera at your eye level or slightly above eye level. Plug in your computer or phone.
- Be mindful of what is behind you. Choose a solid neutral wall if possible.
- Check the lighting. Ideally, position a lamp, or sit facing a window, where light is directly on your face.
- Find a quiet place where no one will interrupt you.
- Mute yourself when not speaking to avoid any potential background noise.
- Pause before speaking just in case there is any audio/video lag.
- If you are unable to hear clearly, let the Court know by raising your hand and speaking when acknowledged.
Free WiFi Hotspots
Please note that providers other than Comcast may also be providing this service. This is one option available.
Xfinity Wi-Fi hotspots in out-of-home locations will be available for free to anyone who needs them, including non-Xfinity Internet customers.
1. Visit wifi.xfinity.com and use the 'Find a hotspot' and enter your city or zip code; or, use the Xfinity Wi-Fi Hotspots app to see a map of Xfinity Wi-Fi hotspots. All open hotspots, both indoor and outdoor, will be displayed on the map app.
2. Once at a hotspot, customers and non-customers should select "xfinitywifi" from the list of available Wi-Fi networks, and then launch a browser.
Xfinity internet customers can sign in using their Xfinity ID and password to be automatically connected to Xfinity Wi-Fi hotspots in the future. Non-Xfinity internet customers can connect by clicking the "Accept and Connect" button. Non-Xfinity customers will be able to renew their complimentary sessions every 12 hours.