Skip to main content
Our website is changing! Starting March 31, 2023 our website will look different, but we're working hard to make sure you can still find what you need.  
King County logo

 Guide to recycling, yard waste, food scraps and garbage

Residential recycling services are provided by the same private solid waste management companies (haulers) that collect garbage. To sign up for curbside recycling or yard waste pickup, get a smaller garbage can, request a new bin, or report missed pickups, contact the hauler or your city recycling coordinator from the drop-down menu below.

Garbage & recycling

The hauler for your neighborhood picks up standard recyclable materials including newspaper, cardboard, office and computer paper, mixed paper, frozen food boxes, plastic, glass, tin and aluminum cans, scrap metal and yard waste. Food scrap collection also is now available to most customers who have yard waste collection. To learn more about what you can and can't put in your recycle bin visit the Residential Quick Guide to Recycling.

Curbside recycling is included in your garbage bill unless you live in Pacific, Vashon Island, Skykomish or Snoqualmie Pass. Haulers serving some parts of the county require residents to sign up for garbage and recycling service. Check with your garbage company to determine whether you need to sign up.

For more information on solid waste collection and recycling rates, consult the King County Solid Waste Code,section 10.18.020.

Compost More. Waste Less. – Take the Pledge!
Take the pledge and get free tools to help you recycle and compost more.
Food: Too Good To Waste

Food: Too Good To Waste

Learn how to reduce food waste at home.

King County Solid Waste Division mission: Waste Prevention, Resource Recovery, Waste Disposal

Contact Us

 Call: 206-477-4466

TTY Relay: 711