Payment plan for 2021 property taxes
Payment plans may be an option for paying 2021 property taxes
First-half 2021 property taxes are due April 30, 2021. The second-half 2021 property taxes are due November 1, 2021. Monthly payment plans are available if you cannot make payments by these due dates. Taxpayers must still pay the monthly interest charge when enrolled in a payment plan agreement, however payment plans established with King County Treasury before June 1 can avoid the penalty portion of late charges if the participant maintains the terms of the payment plan agreement.
Note: If you are inquiring about a commercial business or have a mobile home please call 206-263-2844 to inquire about payment plan options.
How does a payment plan work?
Spreading out your tax obligation into monthly payments can be easier to manage for some taxpayers. However, there are important factors to consider if a taxpayer wants to participate in a payment plan:
- Payment plans do not reduce or eliminate your obligation to pay applicable late charges as specified in state law (RCW 84.56.020). The extent to which late charges are applicable depends on the date you start your payment plan.
- Payment plans must factor in monthly interest charges throughout the duration of the payment plan, as required under state law.
- Taxpayers successfully participating in a payment plan established before June 1 can avoid paying the 3% June penalty. The 8% December penalty can also be avoided for those successfully participating in a payment plan.
- Taxpayers defaulting on a payment plan agreement will have all penalties added back to their tax obligation as required by state law. Payment plans can be established with monthly payments for up to 18 months.
- To participate in a payment plan a taxpayer must first sign agreements with King County Treasury and then with Evergreen Notes Servicing (ENS). ENS is the company that will receive and process your monthly payments. Taxpayers must pay a $15 monthly processing fee charged by ENS. King County will absorb the $75 setup fee for taxpayers impacted by COVID-19 and who wish to participate in a 2021 payment plan.
- Monthly payments must be sent directly to ENS. Monthly payments will not be accepted if sent to King County Treasury.
What is an example of a typical payment plan?
The below example will help to understand how a monthly payment plan is structured:
- A homeowner has a tax bill for the year 2021, totaling $5,000. However, the homeowner does not expect to have funds to pay the first half taxes of $2,500, which are due by April 30, 2021
- The homeowner establishes a 12 month payment plan agreement on April 1, 2021, and choses to begin payments early in the same month. All monthly interest charges are factored into the payment plan as per State law.
- The plan was established before June 1 2021, and therefore the homeowner can avoid paying the 3% penalty which is normally imposed in June, for unpaid taxes. If the participate abides by the terms of the agreement, the December penalty can also be waived.
- The one percent monthly interest charge and the monthly $15 processing charge must also be factored into the monthly payment plan.
- In this scenario, the homeowner will make 12 monthly payments of roughly $480, which includes the monthly interest and monthly processing fee. When the terms are met after 12 months, the homeowner will have paid roughly $780 in interest and processing fees.
- The taxpayer must continue to successfully make timely monthly payments throughout the duration of the payment plan in order to avoid having the penalties reapplied to their tax obligation.
What are the next steps if I want to participate in a payment plan?
After determining that a payment plan could possibly work for you, contact our office at email@example.com or calling 206-263-2890.
Note: If you are inquiring about a commercial business or have a mobile home please call 206-263-2844 and inquire about payment plan options.
- Provide your tax account number and contact information, and the number of months (6, 12, or 18 months) you wish to participate in a payment plan via email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- You will be given a "2021 Payment Plan Agreement" based on the amount due against your property tax account along with a copy of ENS contract. Review, initial and sign the documents and return to email@example.com.
- Follow the instructions as indicated at the bottom of the agreement.
- ENS will contact you with details. All payments must be sent to ENS. Monthly payments sent to King County Treasury will not be accepted and will be returned to you.
- Upon completion of the payment agreement, ENS will send the payment for your first-half taxes to Treasury for processing.
- The accounts will appear unpaid until all payments are received by ENS and forward to Treasury.
- If you have a mortgage on the property, be certain to contact them and tell them of the payment plan agreement established with the county.
King County Treasury Operations, King Street Center 201 S. Jackson St, Suite 710, Seattle, WA 98104
Property Tax Information and Customer Service------------206-263-2890 ---- PropertyTax.CustomerService@kingcounty.gov
Mobile Homes/Commercial Personal Property------------- 206-263-2844 ---- Treasury.PersonalProperty@kingcounty.gov
Tax Foreclosures -------------------------------------------------- 206-263-2649 ---- TaxForeclosures@kingcounty.gov
Maintenance Assessment Mgmt Systems/Local Improvement Districts 206-263-1893--- firstname.lastname@example.org