Information for pregnant people, families, household contacts, and guardians
Hepatitis B is preventable. Testing, vaccination, and treatment helps protect everyone.
Select a topic below to display information:
Hepatitis B: Are You At Risk?
Getting tested lets a person know if he or she has Hepatitis B. There are treatments available for Hepatitis B that can help prevent serious liver damage. People who find out they have Hepatitis B can also keep other family members healthy. This is why women are always tested for Hepatitis B when they are pregnant. Family members who have never had Hepatitis B can get a vaccine to protect them from getting it.
Download a flyer in multiple languages:
- Hepatitis B: Are You At Risk? (English)
- For people from Africa
- ሄፓታይተስ ቢሄፓታይተስ ቢ፤ ተጋልጠው ሊሆኑ ይችል ይሆን? (Amharic)
- (Arabic) هل أنت مُعرّض للخطر؟ االلتهاب الكبديب
- မြန်မာဘာသာ (Burmese)
- 乙肝:您有感染的风险吗? (Chinese, Simplified)
- 乙肝:您有感染的風險嗎? (Chinese, Traditional)
- Hépatite B : Êtes-vous à risque ? (French)
- Kab mob siab B: Koj Puas Yuav Muaj Feem Kis Raug? (Hmong)
- ជំងឺរលាកថើ្ដមប្រភេទ B: តើលោកអ្នកប្រឈមដ្តីងជំងឺនេះដែរប្ញទេ? (Khmer)
- ພາສາລາວ (Lao)
- 답형 간염에 : 걸릴 위험이 있으십니까? (Korean)
- Cagaarshowga B: Adigu khatar ma ugu jirtaa? (Somali)
- Hepatitisi B: Je, uko hatarini? (Swahili)
- Viêm Gan Siêu Vi B: Quý vị có nguy cơ mắc bệnh không? (Vietnamese)
Why should pregnant people be concerned about hepatitis B?
Hepatitis B is a serious liver disease that can be easily passed to others. It is important for a woman to find out if she has hepatitis B, so she can get medical care. It is also possible for a pregnant person with hepatitis B to pass the virus to her baby at birth. Fortunately, there is a vaccine to prevent babies from getting hepatitis B.
Download a brochure below available in multiple languages:
- When a pregnant woman has hepatitis B
- የሄፓታይተስ B መረጃ ለእርጉዝ ሴቶች (Amharic)
- 保護寶寶的終身健康 (Chinese)
- នៅពេលស្ត្រីមានផ្ទៃពោះមានជំងឺរលាកថ្លើមប្រភេទ B (Khmer)
- 임산부가 B형 간염 보균자인 경우 (Korean)
- Odeeffannoo waa'ee Hepatayites B dubartoota ulfaaf (Oromo)
- Когда у беременной женщины гепатит B (Russian)
- Macluumaadka cagaarshowga B ee loogu talagalay Haweenka Uurka Leh (Somali)
- Cuando una mujer embarazada tiene hepatitis B (Spanish)
- Khi Phụ Nữ Mang Thai mắc Bệnh Viêm Gan B (Vietnamese)
Will your baby be cared for in China before they are 13 months old?
Make a plan with the doctor to make sure your baby is vaccinated and tested on time. Follow this guide available in English and Chinese.
The Perinatal Hepatitis B Prevention Program is a case management service provided by Public Health for pregnant people with hepatitis B and their infants. Pregnant people who are infected with hepatitis B and their infants may be automatically enrolled in the program after Public Health is notified by their provider, clinic, hospital, or lab.
The program helps mothers, parents, and guardians take the steps necessary to protect their babies from hepatitis B
- hepatitis B vaccine and testing reminder calls or letters to moms, parents, and guardians
- coordinating clinic appointments for enrolled clients
- client hepatitis B education and resources
For questions and client services call 206-296-4774 and ask for the perinatal hepatitis B team.
See program performance data and select 'Public Health Programs' then Perinatal Hepatitis B Prevention Program.