Meat cutter license, testing and study information
The Public Health — Seattle & King County Food Code requires individuals who are engaged in cutting fresh beef, veal, lamb and/or pork within a meat establishment to obtain a personal occupational "Meat Cutter" license.
The Meat Cutter exam is a basic test designed to check for rudimentary skills of meat cutting, handling, care of meat, knowledge of sanitation and code requirements.
In preparation for the exam we can provide study information for review upon request. This material is available as reference only and may be reviewed by making an appointment with our Downtown Environmental Health office staff.
Meat Cutter Exam and Study Guide materials are available by appointment only:
- Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday 9:00 am – 3:00 pm
- Call 206-263-9566 to make arrangements located at:
Downtown Environmental Health
401- 5th Ave., 11th Floor
Seattle, WA 98104
- Download, print and complete the Meat Cutter's identification form and bring it with you when you take the exam.
- Meat Cutter exam: $102.00
- Meat Cutter license: $76.00
Additional study information:
- National Cattlemen's Beef Association
Beef charts and related materials
- Washington State Beef Commission
4180 Lind Ave SW
Renton, WA 98057
Beef charts and related beef promotional materials
- Web search for Uniform Retail Meat Identity Standards (URMIS) Book
Link/share our site at www.kingcounty.gov/meat-cutter