Store drugs and alcohol safely at home
Many youth report that home is where they find and try out substances. If you share a home with young people, you can prevent accidental or intentional access.
Take these steps to prevent youth from accessing substances like marijuana, alcohol, medications, cigarettes, and vaping products at home:
1. Safely store substances
You already store things like cleaning supplies and dangerous tools in a safe place away from kids. Treat substances the same way. Lock marijuana, alcohol, medications, and cigarettes and vaping products in a cabinet, box, or drawer.
2. Keep track and dispose
Know the types and amounts of substances you have. Get rid of medications that are no longer needed or expired. Find a drop-box near you at: takebackyourmeds.org.
3. Talk with youth
Help youth make healthy decisions. Talk about substance use and set clear expectations. Get tips on how to have these conversations at starttalkingnow.org.
- English: Store drugs and alcohol safely at home
- Chinese, Simplified: 在家中安全存放药物和酒品
- Amharic: መድኃኒቶች እና አልኮል ደህንነቱ በተጠበቀ ሁኔታ ቤት ዉስጥ ያስቀምጡ
- Somali: Ku keydi daroogada iyo aalkolada guriga si aamin ah
- Spanish: Almacene las medicinas y el alcohol en un lugar seguro en casa
- Vietnamese: Cất trữ thuốc và đồ uống có cồn tại nhà một cách an toàn
Sarah Ross-Viles, MPH, Youth Marijuana Prevention and Education Program
Link/share our site at www.kingcounty.gov/youthmarijuana