Working at DAJD — not your average job
Testing for Corrections Officer - Entry Level, Job #2018CT07799
For this position, a King County application is required prior to testing with the National Testing Network (NTN). Only those applicants that apply through King County and receive a referral to complete NTN testing will be considered for employment. Applicants without prior authorization will NOT be considered further.
Please refer to the current job listing above and click the Apply button to proceed.
For more information, please contact Officer J. Bott with King County DAJD Human Resources at 206-477-5957 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Additional information is at www.nationaltestingnetwork.com
Top 10 reasons to work for us
- Excellent training
- Teamwork approach
- Held to a higher standard to uphold public trust
- Advancement opportunities
- Working with people - every day is different
- Superior benefits: medical, dental, vision, sick leave, annual leave, education incentive
- Excellent wages
- Diverse workforce
- Contribution to community safety
- A career, not just a job
How to apply for Corrections Officer and Detention Officer positions
Thank you for your interest in employment as a Corrections Officer (CO) or Detention Officer (DO) with the King County Adult and Juvenile Detention (DAJD). Please follow the instructions below to apply.
National Testing Network
Candidates (including lateral CO transfers) may apply online for CO or DO positions with our department via:
National Testing Network (NTN) administers several tests a week at multiple locations across the northwest for a fee starting at $30 for CO and DO candidates. In the state of Washington, tests are administered Wednesday, Friday and Saturday at NTN’s Everett testing center and offered on a less frequent basis in Eastern Washington and Western Oregon. CO and DO candidates are required to take both a written exam and a physical abilities test. The written test for CO candidates includes a video-based human relations test, a reading test, a count test and a report writing test. The written test for DO candidates includes a video-based human relations test and a reading test. NTN also administers the Physical Abilities Test (PAT) which includes push-ups, sit-ups and a 1.5 mile run. Further information on the testing requirements can be found at the NTN website.
After passing these tests, DAJD Human Resources will contact qualified candidates for further processing. Please visit NTN’s website for further information on how to apply and for a schedule of the test dates.
Background Investigation Process
Candidates who pass NTN’s initial testing will be invited to continue to the next step, the background investigation process.
If you do not have access to a computer, you may:
Visit your local library to use the public access computers; or
Visit the closest Worksource external link location. In King County there are three Worksource Centers and five Worksource Affiliates. Worksource provides computers with internet access, phones and fax machines for job search purposes. Call 1-877-872-5267 for the nearest Worksource location.
Thank you again for you interest in employment with King County Adult and Juvenile Detention. For more information, please call 206-477-2400 or go to https://kingcounty.gov/jobs.
Denial appeal process
If you have been denied employment with the Department of Adult and Juvenile Detention (DAJD) and you would like to appeal the denial decision, you have 30 days from the date of denial to submit your appeal. Please follow the following steps:
- Write a letter/email detailing why you would like to appeal the denial decision. Please include any information you feel will assist in reversing the decision.
- Send the letter/email to your DAJD Human Resources contact person or to email@example.com.
- Your appeal will be forwarded to DAJD management, along with your background information.
- Once a decision is made you will be contacted by a DAJD Human Resources representative.
This denial appeal must be received by DAJD Human Resources within 30 days after the denial date. Appeals received over 30 days from the denial date will not be considered.
After one week if you have not received a response from DAJD Human Resources, please contact your DAJD Human Resources representative.
DAJD Human Resources can be reached via phone at 206-477-2400.
The following will be disqualifying unless otherwise described:
- Any Illegal Purchase,Sale,Transport, Possession or Distribution of Marijuana in the past five (5) years.
- Use of ANY illegal drug substance, to include non-prescribed medications, in the past five (5) years.
- Purchase, Sale, Transport, Possession or Distribution of ANY illegal drug substance, to include non-prescribed medications, in the past five (5) years.
- Other drug use outside these standards will be subject to additional review and may be disqualifying.
- It shall not be an automatic disqualification if a candidate has legally used marijuana in the last year.
- Marijuana use will be reviewed on a case-by-case basis. However, in order to increase the likelihood of continuing on in the hiring and background process, an applicant should not have used marijuana in the last twelve (12) months.
For the purposes of this standard, illegal drugs may include the following but are not limited to:
|Cocaine||Opium||Methamphetamine, Meth, or Amphetamines|
|Barbiturates||Hallucinogenic drugs||Angel Dust|
|GHB, Rohypnol, or MDMA||Wet||Whippits|
|Huffing Paint or N02||Aerosols||Club Drugs|
|Phencyclidine||Psilocybin or mushrooms||
- Any adult conviction for domestic violence in the past three (3) years.
- Any adult conviction for Driving under the Influence or Boating under the Influence in the past three (3) years.
- Adult misdemeanor convictions and all felony convictions outside of these standards will be reviewed closely.
- Any intimate contact with inmate(s), known former inmate(s), or detained individuals while employed or contracted by a criminal justice agency.
- Any conviction for sexual misconduct.
- Participation or affiliation related to a street gang or security threat group in the last five (5) years.
- Military discharge characterized as anything other than “Honorable” may be disqualifying. Applicants will be reviewed closely and additional documentation will be required for further consideration.
- Termination for cause or resignation in lieu of termination may be disqualifying and will be reviewed closely.
- Any sexual misconduct in the workplace to include viewing of pornography not directly related to work functions or intimate sexual contact while on duty will be reviewed on a case-by-case basis.
- Lying or intentional misrepresentation during any portion of the application process.
Grooming and Appearance:
- Tattoos, branding, voluntary disfigurement, or sacrification shall be reviewed by the department on a case-by-case basis.
- Tattoos that are obscene, gang related, or racially insensitive shall not be allowed..
An applicant’s criminal record, including all arrests, prosecutions, deferred prosecutions, “Alford” pleas, and non-conviction information will be thoroughly assessed and may be grounds for disqualification.
Benefits for military veterans
King County Department of Adult & Juvenile Detention recognizes the value of your military service.
Your training and experiences have prepared you to take on new challenges. As the Pacific Northwest's largest jail system, we are proud to employ a great number of those who serve our nation as they transition to civilian life.