Skip to main content
Most King County offices will be closed on Monday, for Memorial Day.  
King County logo

If your project involves road or drainage site work, the information below outlines the applicant's expectations, responsibilities, and obligation to contact Permitting before initiating the work.


Permit issuance and plan approval notification

Permitting applicants are notified when their site development plans or permit(s) are approved for construction. The notification includes information about any outstanding fees, financial guarantees, and requirements to set up a preconstruction conference.

For smaller projects that involve work in the road right-of-way and do not require site development plans, contact Permitting Inspections at 206-296-6600 after preliminary approval or permit issuance to schedule the preconstruction conference.

step 2

Preconstruction conference

A preconstruction conference is required prior to any land clearing or grading on any site requiring a permit approval. Land use permit types that involve construction activities typically include subdivisions, short subdivisions, clearing, grading, and right-of-way use permits. Land use inspections also are required for some commercial and large residential permits.

Request a preconstruction conference by calling Permitting Department Inspections at 206-296-6600, and please allow up to three working days for the conference to be scheduled. A land use inspector will be assigned to your project.

step 3

Notice board requirements

A Notice of Construction Activity Sign board must be posted on a site when construction is related to a subdivision, commercial building permit, or grading permit that is subject to SEPA. This sign must be posted prior to any construction and must be in place as authorized by Permitting or until the project construction is approved.

step 4

Erosion control supervisor sign

This sign shall identify the Erosion Control supervisor and phone number in accordance with the Surface Water Design Manual.

step 5

Scheduled inspections

The King County Road Design and Construction Standards specify certain events that require monitoring and inspection by Permitting Inspections. In addition, the King County Code, Surface Water Management, Title 9.04, and the related Retention/Detention Facilities, "In Operation" Public Rule, requires certain drainage related inspections before improvements and/or buildings are constructed or subdivisions and short subdivisions are recorded.

A land use inspector will be assigned to your project and will work with you directly.  Please contact the inspector to schedule inspections.

Activities that require a land use inspection and scheduling requirements

Included below are activities that require a land use inspection. Schedule an inspection for each activity that applies to your project before you start the activity, and note the lead time required for each request.

Land use inspection activity Working days
Preconstruction meeting 3 days
Clearing and temporary erosion/dedimentation control 1 day
Utility and storm drainage installlation 1 day
Utility and storm drainage backfill and compaction 1 day
Subgrade completion 1 day
Curb and sidework forming 1 day
Crushed surfacing placement 1 day
Paving 3 days
Structural 3 days
Final punchlist inspection 15 days
Schedule a land use inspection
  • Schedule a land use inspection or if you have questions, call 206-296-6600
Keep final plans and permits displayed on-site!

Approved building and land use permits must be displayed prominently on construction and development sites.

Maintaining these records on-site is the responsibility of the applicant and/or contractor.

Contact a land use inspector or project manager

Contact the project manager for any unresolved problems or technical issues during the inspection phase. Call the inspector for all other inquiries.

Land use inspectors and project managers are available by calling 206-296-6600

Already know your inspector?
King County Online Directory

Drainage facility liability insurance

King County Code Title 9.04.100 requires the applicant to post liability insurance that names King County as an additional insured to protect King County from liability.

Right-of-way use permit inspection and extension

A right-of-way use permit (limited or extended) is required for any private improvement or use of a King County right-of-way.

Learn more about right-of-way use

Download permit extension form

Residential permit holders

Permitting is re-implementing inspection for energy conservation and ventilation and indoor air quality (VIAQ) measures. For more information, see Energy and Ventilation Required Inspections