Reasonable use exception
What is the purpose of a reasonable use exception?
A reasonable use exception (RUE) is used only when all reasonable uses of a site, as allowed by adopted zoning, is denied as result of critical areas.
How much will it cost?
See the Permitting Department current fee schedule for an estimate.
Where can I get an application?
- Refer to the Reasonable Use Exceptions and Pre-Application Packets for application materials.
- If you have questions or would like to inquire about alternatives, please email DPERWebInquiries@kingcounty.gov.
How do I submit my application?
- A pre-application meeting is mandatory prior to filing an reasonable use exception application.
- See our Customer Service Bulletin for submittal information.
Notes / Comments
For more information:
- See definition in Section 21A.06.950* of the King County Code
Section 21A.24.070* of the King County Code
The Department of Local Services, Permitting Division. For questions, please contact customer service at 206-296-6600 or email DPERWebinquiries@kingcounty.gov.
Schedule a land use inspection
- Schedule a land use inspection or if you have questions, call 206-296-6600
Keep final plans and permits displayed on-site!
Approved building and land use permits must be displayed prominently on construction and development sites.
Maintaining these records on-site is the responsibility of the applicant and/or contractor.
Tools and Resources