Skip to main content
King County logo

What is the purpose of a reasonable use exception?

A reasonable use exception (RUE) is used only when all reasonable uses of a site, as allowed by adopted zoning, is denied as result of critical areas.

step 2

How much will it cost?

See the Permitting Department current fee schedule for an estimate.

step 3

Where can I get an application?

step 4

How do I submit my application?

  • A pre-application meeting is mandatory prior to filing an reasonable use exception application.
  • See our Customer Service Bulletin for submittal information.
step 5

Notes / Comments

For more information:

Legal authority

Section 21A.24.070* of the King County Code

Administered by

The Department of Local Services, Permitting Division. For questions, please contact customer service at 206-296-6600 or email

Schedule a land use inspection
  • Schedule a land use inspection or if you have questions, call 206-296-6600
Keep final plans and permits displayed on-site!

Approved building and land use permits must be displayed prominently on construction and development sites.

Maintaining these records on-site is the responsibility of the applicant and/or contractor.

Tools and Resources