Skip to main content
King County logo

Utility Right-of-Way Construction Permits

Utility Right-of-Way Construction Permits are required for all utility construction, reconstruction, relocation or maintenance activities within the King County right-of-way or easement -- see King County Code Chapter 14.44. The right-of way is the designated area granted to the County through an easement or other instrument for the purposes of maintenance or expansion of existing transportation services within the right-of-way.

Common projects requiring a utility right-of-way construction permit include:

  • Construction, repair or replacement of mains, lines, poles or other utility appurtenances
  • Maintenance activities which affect traffic flow, the roadway surface, or right of way, by any utility
  • Test boring for utility purposes

Apply for a Utility Right-of-Way Construction Permit

The Road Services Utility Inspection Unit reviews permit applications and inspects utility work performed in the right-of-way. The inspection process ensures that utilities are installed safely and efficiently and with minimal impact to the traveling public, the environment and the county road system. Inspection rates are set by King County Code. The current inspection rate is $176 per hour, charged in half-hour increments. Learn more about the Road Right-of-Way Permit Application procedure.

Notice to utilities about 2023/2024 culvert replacement projects

Why the culvert replacements occur

Each year Road Services identifies drainage structures throughout King County that are in need of repair or replacement. Due to current design standards or permit requirements, some of these structures may need to be replaced with much larger pipes or box culverts.

Contact us

24/7 Road Helpline: 206-477-8100 or 1-800-527-6237

TTY Relay: 711

Twitter: @KCRoads