Public Defense Advisory Board
The Public Defense Advisory Board is an 11-member board charged with the following duties:
- reviewing the activities and plans of the Department of Public Defense
- advocating for high-quality public defense
- playing a significant role in the selection of the public defender when the office is vacant
- advising the executive and council on matters of equity and social justice related to public defense
The Public Defense Advisory Board meets at least once every two months, sometimes more frequently when needed. Agendas for meetings will be posted at least 24 hours prior to the meeting time and date.
King County is currently recruiting for three new members for the Public Defense Advisory Board. Board members are expected to have substantial experience and expertise relevant to the work of public defense and to reflect the diversity of the county. The open positions are 4, 5, 9, 10, and 11.Those filling one of the open positions are also expected to act as a representative of a nonpartisan organization active in King County: Position 4 represents the King County Bar Association; Position 5 represents a minority bar association (as identified by the WSBA); Position 9 is related to issues of poverty; Position 10 is related to juvenile justice issues, and Position 11 is related to immigration issues. The application is to be filled out by the recommending organization and the candidate.
The next PDAB meeting is scheduled for 10 to 10:30 a.m. on Wednesday, Sept. 9, 2020. The meeting is for the purpose of proposed changes to Ordinance 17678, which created the Department of Public Defense and spells out the duties of the advisory board. No agenda will be posted. For Skype call-in information, contact Christina Alburas at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Agendas and minutes
- Jan. 5, 2017: Agenda, Meeting Minutes
- Feb. 2, 2017: Agenda, Meeting Minutes
- Mar. 2, 2017: Agenda, Meeting Minutes
- Apr. 13, 2017: Agenda, Meeting Minutes
- May 4, 2017: Agenda, Meeting Minutes
- June 8, 2017: Agenda, Meeting Minutes
- July 13, 2017: Agenda, Meeting Minutes
- Aug. 3, 2017: Agenda, Meeting Minutes
- Oct. 5, 2017: Agenda, Meeting Minutes
- Nov. 9, 2017: Agenda, Meeting Minutes
- Dec. 7, 2017: Agenda, Meeting Minutes