The following are tips that can help you avoid becoming a victim of a crime when you are at home, out and about, or working at your job. By taking a few simple precautions, you can reduce the risk to yourself, and also discourage those who commit crimes.
- At home, use good lighting and solid door and window locks. If you see or hear anything suspicious, call the police.
- When you are out and about, stay in well-lit areas with groups of people.
- Never leave your keys or other valuables in your car. Park in well-lit areas, and have your keys in hand when you return to your vehicle.
- If you ride the bus during off-hours, ride as near to the operator as you can.
- If you use an ATM, don't repeatedly visit the same machine at the same time, the same day of the week.
- Remember to always lock your bike or vehicle.
- Carry credit cards and checks instead of cash, and keep your wallet in a secure pocket or purse.
- If you work after hours, lock your doors. When you leave, use a buddy system with a coworker or security guard.
Notify the police immediately. If there are witnesses, ask them to stay until police arrive. Tell the police what you know. No fact is too trivial.