Alien firearms license
Effective October 1, 2020 we are processing Alien Firearm Licenses – by appointment only at our downtown location. A link for our new scheduling tool QLess is below. The QLess system will allow you to schedule your appointment online or using your smart phone. Select the Alien Firearm License button to schedule an appointment.
Appointments for the downtown Seattle location ONLY can be requested on-line or by using your smart phone. NO WALK IN APPOINTMENTS.
This page provides information about the application process for Alien Firearms Licenses. Download an Alien Firearms License application here.
Applying for an Alien Firearms License
The application process for an Alien Firearms License typically takes about 60 minutes to complete, including fingerprinting. Fingerprinting for AFL application is conducted during the application process - no 3rd party prints accepted.
Requirements of each applicant: (regardless if applying for an original or replacement license)
- All applicants must provide the following items at time of application submittal:
- Valid state driver’s license or state ID (any state)
- Your valid Passport
- You must live in King County.
- You must be a legal temporary (non-immigrant) resident alien residing in WA.
- Your current VISA,
- The print out of your current I-94 (can be obtained from the US Department of Homeland Security’s website at https://i94.cbp.dhs.gov
- State Hunting License (any state) or Valid Sport-shooting Club Membership (original documents only)
- Payment in the form of cash, personal check or money order made out to King County Sheriff’s Office or KCSO
- The fee for an Alien Firearms License as of January 1, 2019 is $80.25
- The waiting period to receive the Alien Firearm License is 60 days, and will be mailed
Renewing Alien Firearms License
There is no renewal process for an Alien Firearms License. Alien Firearms Licenses are good for two (2) years, and upon expiration, a new application must be submitted.
Replacing Alien Firearms License
The Sheriff’s Office will replace a lost, stolen or destroyed Alien Firearms License for license holders who currently live in King County; this service must be done in person. There is a $10 replacement fee for this service. Please note that replacement licenses will have the same expiration date as the original license and will be mailed when the background check is completed.
To receive a replacement license, you will need to bring:
Fees and Payment Methods
Fees may be paid by cash, personal check or money order. Please note that we do not accept third party checks, and are unable to process payment by debit or credit cards (Visa, Mastercard, etc).
Personal check/money order requirements:
- Both will need to be made payable to King County Sheriff’s Office or K.C.S.O.
- Checks must be preprinted and match the name on the license, listing name, address, and phone number.
More InformationFurther Information Regarding Alien Firearms Licenses may be obtained at: www.dol.wa.gov/business/firearms
Links to external sites do not constitute endorsements by King County. By visiting this and other
King County web pages, you expressly agree to be bound by terms and conditions of the site
© 2018 King County
Locations and Times
King County Courthouse
516 Third Ave, Rm W-150
Seattle, WA 98104
Appointments can be scheduled weekdays during the hours of 09:00 – 15:00. See QLess information at the top of this page.