Skip to main content
King County logo

Effective July 1, 2021, the King County Sheriff’s Department is prohibited from serving, threatening to serve, or otherwise acting on eviction orders affecting any dwelling unless the eviction order, including a writ of restitution, contains a finding that the landlord has complied with Governor's Order 21-09 and the unlawful detainer action is permitted under said order.

Due to unit staffing shortages coupled with the hazardous nature of the orders we're receiving, we need approximately 40 days to serve and enforce the writ. Extension language in the writ or an order allowing us additional time, will be necessary. Writs returnable to court within 10 or 20 days of issuance, will likely not be enforced.

For a copy of the Governor’s Order relating to evictions, click here.


An eviction (Writ of Restitution) involves a tenant being ordered by the court to leave a residence. The court follows the tenant-landlord act of the State of Washington. More information about these laws can be found at the Revised Code of Washington RCW 59.12, RCW 59.18, and RCW 59.20.  

After obtaining a court order to evict a tenant, a landlord wishing to pursue an eviction should fill out the Eviction Data Form, Adobe required (alternate version) before contacting the Civil Unit for processing. Additionally, please provide our office with all items listed on the Writ of Restitution Intake Sheet. Detectives will serve the tenant or post a residence with a writ of restitution or court order. If the tenant has not moved by the date on the writ of restitution or court order, the detectives will assist the landlord in evicting the tenant. The detectives' assistance will include enforcing the court order and ensuring the peace. The advance fee for service of the writ includes one hour of the detective's time at the eviction. If you anticipate the eviction may require additional time, you must notify the assigned detective in advance and additional fees may apply. The landlord is responsible for providing the moving crew and all other needed items. Landlords are encouraged to contact the detective prior to the physical eviction. There are some exceptions which can be found under the RCW links above. Additional information can be found in the Procedures for Writs of Restitution.

Additional resources are available at:

Contact or visit us at :

Civil Process Unit
King County Courthouse
516 Third Avenue, Room W-150
Seattle, WA 98104
Phone: (206) 263-2600
Closed weekends and holidays.

 Please note:  Effective immediately our in-person lobby hours of operation are 10:00am to 2:00pm.