Electric trolley bus
It’s purple on the outside. Inside, it’s full of innovations that are…
Good for riders
- Ability to go “off wire” means the bus can get around problems on the road and keep you moving!
- Passengers can open the backdoor when the bus is at a stop—no need to call out to the driver.
- More seats and standing room make the trip comfortable for more people per ride!
- Air conditioning keeps everyone cool.
- Low floor makes it easier and safer to get on and off.
Good for neighborhoods
- No exhaust equals cleaner air.
- Quiet operation eases the noise of city streets and neighborhoods.
- Lighter weight so there's less impact on the roads.
Good for the environment
- These energy-efficient all electric vehicles use 30 percent less energy than the existing trolleys.
- Zero emissions help fight climate change.
- Regenerative braking sends energy back into the trolley electrical system.
The bottom line
- The new trolleys cost less to operate.
- $138 million in federal grants covered about 65 percent of the purchase cost!
- Nearly all parts were manufactured in the USA meeting the Buy America purchasing standards.
More examples of Metro's innovation in motion:
Metro's battery-electric bus
Metro is building a zero-emission fleet