Skip to main content

Judge Mark Larrañaga - Superior Court

How to contact a King County Superior Court judge and get ready for your trial or motion.


Civil Cases—Guidance for Parties

Electronic Filing and Service by Attorneys

Counsel should review LGR 30, which requires e-filing of most documents and requires attorneys to “promptly register to accept e-service via the Clerk’s eFiling application” unless a waiver is obtained. Unrepresented parties have the option of utilizing these services. Judge Larrañaga e-files orders regularly.

Electronic Working Copies

Judge Larrañaga prefers to receive electronic working copies submitted to the Clerk using the Clerk’s e-Filing Application pursuant to LCR 7(b)(4)(F)(i). Please note: if your pleadings refer to materials which were previously filed within the court record, please reference the pleading by both the document title and sub number (eg: Declaration of Bob Jones, Sub #5) within the court docket. If a party’s submission exceeds the 500-page limit, you may request prior permission from Judge Larrañaga’s bailiff to deliver the working copies in PDF format, either on disk or thumb drive (and delivered to the Judge’s Mailroom). Prior permission should be requested by sending an email to Please do not email any working copies directly to the Court or to her bailiff without prior permission. Please put in the upper right corner of the working copies the note date of consideration or hearing, Judge Larrañaga’s name, and by whom the documents are being presented (“moving party,” “opposing party,” or other descriptive or identifying term).

Requests for Oral Argument on Non-Dispositive Motions

If you wish to have oral argument on a non-dispositive motion, please note the motion without oral argument and note "ORAL ARGUMENT REQUESTED" on the first page of your motion or opposition. Judge Larrañaga will consider the request when he reviews the motion on the date noted for hearing without oral argument. If the Court decides to allow oral argument, the bailiff will contact all parties to schedule a date and time for oral argument on the motion. If the Court declines to set oral argument, you will receive a courtesy copy of any order that is entered.

Dispositive Motions and Hearing Requests

Dispositive motions are typically heard on Fridays. Requests for hearing dates are accepted by emailing the bailiff at Judge Larrañaga requires that you check with opposing counsel before scheduling any hearing in order to make sure that the date works for all counsel. Doing so reduces the need to reschedule hearings due to conflicts. Parties should contact the Court as soon as possible, as timeslots are limited and generally fill at least a couple months in advance. If multiple parties are requesting a dispositive motion to be heard, it is this Court’s practice to generally hold them on the same date, in the interest of judicial economy.

Any email request for a dispositive motion hearing must include the following:

Case name and cause number Nature of the motion(s) to be heard A preferred date range

Judge Larrañaga may consider providing additional time on hearings involving multi-party cases or complex litigation. If you are requesting additional time, please advise the bailiff of your basis for the request when scheduling.

Compliance with LCR 7(b)(5)(B)(vii) Consecutive Page Numbering for Attachments is Required

Attachments or exhibits in excess of 25 pages, including attachments to motions, oppositions, replies, briefs, declarations, and affidavits, shall be numbered consecutively on the bottom center or right-hand corner of each document. This aids the court and the parties in navigating through the voluminous document. The number shall not restart for each attachment but shall run consecutively through all the attachments to the document. You must cite to these page numbers in all motions, oppositions, replies, and briefs. A party may include other citation information, such as exhibit numbers, corresponding exhibit pages or paragraph numbers, in addition to the consecutive page cite. Failure to follow this rule can result in the Court delaying your hearing or matter until all parties have complied.

Family Law Resources

Access a list of General Family Law Resources for low-cost assistance with family law matters. For parties navigating a dissolution, please refer to the Family Court page for more information and resources. For parties without an attorney, please review the services provided through the Family Law Facilitators - King County. They are a wonderful resource to answer questions on how to navigate through your case to resolution.

Settled Cases and to Strike a Motion

Please call or email the bailiff immediately if a case settles or if you wish to strike a motion you have filed from the court’s calendar. Trial courts are not notified when a case otherwise resolves through the ex parte department, or when a Notice of Settlement is filed within the Court record.