Skip to main content

Superior Court Non-Compliance Fee Information

To pay a non-compliance fee online, please click HERE to go to King County Financial Management.


Highlight Banner


The Clerk's Office charges a non-compliance fee in cases where parties to a case are not in compliance with the case schedule or local court rules, per KCC 4A.630.020.

Frequently Asked Questions about Non-Compliance

The Clerk’s Office staff reviewed your case and determined it is not in compliance with local court rules and/or your case schedule. There are different reasons why a case may not be in compliance. The specific reason can be found in the “description box” on your invoice.

King County Department of Finance will mail out an invoice within 30 days after a Clerk’s notice of intent to dismiss or a Clerk’s Order of Dismissal is filed into your case. If after 30 days the bill has not been paid, parties will be sent a Delinquency Notice. If after 30 days from the date of the Delinquency Notice the bill is still not paid, the invoice will be referred to a collection agency, Professional Credit Service (PCS).

The Clerk’s Office staff review cases to make sure that they are not left open and inactive or incomplete. Local court rules give the Superior Court Clerk the authority to administratively close cases which are left open or are inactive beyond deadlines established by the local court rules, mainly Local Civil Rule 41, and case schedules. A signed Clerk’s Order of Dismissal will close your case.

The Clerk has the authority per King County Code: 4A.630.020 Failure to bring case to completion. The fifty-dollar ($50) fee covers costs associated with identifying these cases and notifying the parties or the attorneys, or both.

  • failure to appear for trial
  • failure to file a final order if parties reach a settlement
  • failure to follow the case schedule
  • failure to file a final order following an arbitration award
  • there is no activity in the case for 12 months

You can request an extension to file final documents by emailing Please include your case number and the amount of time needed. The Clerk is authorized to extend the deadline to file final documents up to 60 days from the file date of a Clerk’s Notice of iIntent to Dismiss. Any requests for additional time beyond the 60 days will require a court order.

  • You may make an online payment by clicking the button at the top of the page,
  • By phone at 206-477-0099.
  • In person at the King County Office of Finance, 201 S Jackson Street, Suite 710, Seattle, WA 98104, 8:00 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.
  • By mail to the above address.

The Department of Finance accepts checks, money orders and cashier checks. You may pay in person with cash.

Yes. To set up a payment plan contact Rose Langford with Accounts Receivable at or by phone at 206-263-1261.

Please contact Rose Langford with Accounts Receivable at or by phone at 206-263-1261.

If you believe you received a non-compliance bill or invoice in error, please contact the clerk listed in your notice.

You may also submit an appeal form: Non-Compliance Fee Appeal Form.

Frequently Asked Questions About Probate and Guardianship Non-Compliance

The Clerk’s Office is authorized to audit guardianship and trust cases to ensure compliance with Washington law which requires guardians and trustees to file annual/biannual/triannual reports. If a report and order approving the report are not filed on time in your case, the Clerk may send you an Order to go to Court with a specific date to appear. You may also receive a non-compliance fee.

The attorney representing the guardian or trustee is responsible for non-compliance fees. If the guardian or trustee are not represented by an attorney, then the guardian or trustee will be assessed a fee.

When a guardian or trustee is appointed, they are provided a tracking schedule which lists the due dates for annual reports. Each year when the report is filed and approved by the court, they will be issued a new tracking schedule.

Yes, even though the case is now compliant, the guardian/trustee or their attorney is still responsible for paying the non-compliance fee.