Construction scheduled to begin in summer 2024
This project will make it safer for people to travel along 16th Avenue SW between SW 100th Street and SW 107th Street in White Center. King County will add safer street crossings, clearer signs and road improvements to help reduce speeding. The project also adds more on-street parking for people in the neighborhood.
Existing view of 16th Avenue SW approaching SW 107th Street, looking south.
August 15, 2022
Thank you to the hundreds of community members who took our project survey and provided comments.
March 2022 Survey results:
Option 1 (includes bike lanes): 399
Option 2 (no bike lanes, slightly more parking): 232
Other (neither option): 181
We are moving forward with Option 1 (includes bike lanes). based on the survey results and general comments received. The final project design is expected to be complete in late 2023, construction is scheduled to begin in summer 2024.
Frequently asked questions
- Countdown pedestrian signal heads will let pedestrians know how much time remains to cross the intersection
- Audible messaging will inform pedestrians which crossing has a “walk”
- Vibration and tactile surfaces at crosswalks and intersections will also inform pedestrians which crossing has a “walk”
- High visibility pedestrian safety signs make it easier for drivers to know when to expect pedestrians
- Accessible ramps help people with disabilities, people pushing strollers, and others, access the crosswalk