Get a U.S. Passport
You can submit your U.S. passport application at any of the following King County District Court locations:
Appointments are required -- drop-ins are not accepted.
For current passport application requirements, see the U.S. State Department website.
Everyone who is not eligible to apply by mail must appear in person. All minors (people younger than 18 years) must appear in person. For minors under 16, see the U.S. State Department website for special requirements.
Apply for a U.S. passport at King County District Court by following these steps:
- Download passport application from the U.S. State Department website
- Fill out your passport application (do not sign it until you meet with a court clerk at your appointment)
- Schedule a passport application appointment with the Court
- Bring all required items to your appointment
- King County District Court service fee: $35 per application
- U.S. State Department application fee for first-time applicants
- Adult Passport Book: $130
- Adult Passport Card: $30
- Adult Passport Book & Card: $160
- Minor Passport Book: $100
- Minor Passport Card: $15
- Minor Passport Book & Card: $115
- For passport renewal information and fees, see the U.S. State Dept's Already Have a Passport webpage.
You must bring all of the following items to your passport application appointment:
- Completed passport application (do not sign it until you meet with a court clerk at your appointment)
- Certified copy of your birth certificate or previous U.S. passport
- Minor children ages 17 and under who are first time applicants – Certified copy of birth certificate required
- Minor children ages 16-17 who have a previous passport - Previous passport required (no birth certificate needed)
- Minor children ages 15 and under who have a previous U.S. passport – Photocopy of birth certificate and previous passport
- Photo identification (driver's license, ID card, Student ID card, Temporary ID, etc.)
- Easy to read photocopy of the front and back of your photo identification (on one page) that matches the identification you are submitting to obtain your passport
- A photograph of your face, sized 2 inches by 2 inches
- Photos must have been taken within the past 6 months
- Background must be white or off-white
- No glasses allowed in passport photos
- For information regarding digital photos, see the U.S. State Department website
- Check or money order made payable to "Department of State" for your application fee (see Fees) - cash and credit cards are not accepted for this fee
- Cash, check, money order or credit card payment of $35 per application for the Court’s service fee, made payable to “King County District Court”
You can schedule a passport application appointment at King County District Court’s Bellevue, Burien, Maleng Regional Justice Center (MRJC - Kent), Seattle or Shoreline locations. Drop-ins are not accepted.
Appointments are available Monday – Friday 9:00 a.m. to 12:00 noon and 1:00 p.m. to 3:00 p.m. Appointments are 30 minutes long for either individuals or families. Each 30-minute appointment slot is limited to four total people in your family. If your family has more than four passport applications to submit, please schedule an additional appointment timeslot.
Schedule passport appointment at BELLEVUE
Schedule passport appointment at BURIEN
Schedule passport appointment at MALENG REGIONAL JUSTICE CENTER (KENT)
Schedule passport appointment at SEATTLE
Schedule passport appointment at SHORELINE
You must bring all completed materials to your appointment, or the Court will cancel your appointment. See “What to Bring.”
For current passport processing times, see the U.S. State Department website. You may pay an additional $60 for expedited processing.
After you have submitted your passport application to the Court, to check the status see the U.S. State Department website.