Early Support for Infants and Toddlers
Developmental Disabilities and Early Childhood Supports Division
About Early Support for Infants and Toddlers
We know every child is unique and special. Sometimes our children grow and develop just fine. Other times we feel concern about their development in one or more ways. About 1 of every 8 children has a challenge with development that makes them eligible for Early Support for Infants and Toddlers (ESIT). With early support, most children catch up with their peers! Families gain skills and knowledge to support their child's needs.
Through ESIT Services:
- Children catch up with their development and reach their potentials;
- Many children will not need Special Education later;
- Smoother transitions for children who still need services at age 3;
- Families learn how to support the unique needs of their child;
- Parents strengthen advocacy and communication of their children’s needs;
- Siblings are welcomed, included, and supported;
- Child care providers and other caregivers strengthen support for unique developmental needs.
How Do I Get Connected with ESIT?
Anyone who has a concern about a child's development may make a referral including parents/caregivers.
To refer a child, choose one:
- Call WithinReach/ Help Me Grow: (206) 204-3536 or 1-800-322-2588, OR
- Email WithinReach: firstname.lastname@example.org, OR
- Use this ESIT Provider Map Tool to find an ESIT provider that serves your area in King County and contact them directly OR
- EFAX a completed referral form to WithinReach: (206) 299-9146
- English referral form: ESIT Referral Form PDF or ESIT Referral Form Word
- Spanish/ Español referral form: ESIT Referral Form PDF (Spanish) or ESIT Referral Form Word (Spanish)
Outreach Materials Available for Download
- ESIT Informational Flyer - English
- ESIT Flyer-Bengali/ বাংলা
- ESIT Flyer-Burmese/ မြန်မာဘာသာ
- ESIT Flyer-Chinese Simplified /中文
- ESIT Flyer-Chinese Traditional /漢語
- ESIT Flyer-Dari / دری
- ESIT Flyer-Farsi/فارسی
- ESIT Flyer-French / Français
- ESIT Flyer-Japanese / 漢字
- ESIT Flyer-Khmer/ ກຶມຫມຸ
- ESIT Flyer-Oromo/ Afaan Oromoo
- ESIT Flyer-Pashto / پښتو
- ESIT Flyer-Portuguese / Português
- ESIT Flyer-Russian / Pусский
- ESIT Flyer-Somali / Soomaaliya
- ESIT Flyer-Spanish / Español
- ESIT Flyer-Tigrinya / ትግርኛ
- ESIT Flyer-Ukrainian /Українська
- ESIT Flyer-Urdu/ اُردُو
- ESIT Flyer-Vietnamese / Tiếng Việt
For More Information
For ESIT referral, evaluation, or services, contact Help Me Grow Washington
Hotline: (800) 322-2588
After the referral, an ESIT representative will contact you to find out more about your child and schedule a Developmental Evaluation. That evaluation will help to identify your child’s strengths and areas of growth and figure out if your child is eligible for ESIT.
A Family Resource Coordinator (FRC) will explain all steps from start to finish, including a plan to support your child and family.
Early Support services take place in your child’s natural environments! This may be your home, at childcare, or at other community locations you and your family go to. Sometimes services may be available virtually.
Services may include one or more, based on your child and family needs:
- Individual Education
- Speech Therapy
- Occupational or Physical Therapy
- Feeding Therapy and Nutrition Services
- Family education, counseling and home visits
- Audiology, Assistive Technology or Vision services
- Deaf/Hard of Hearing Supports. Watch the Services for Children who are Deaf or Hard of Hearing video to learn more about available services.
Parents have rights and “safeguards” to assure Early Support services are provided in ways that address your child’s needs and the concerns of your family. Your Family Resource Coordinator (FRC) will provide you with written information about your rights and explain them to you.
Citizen's Complaint Process
A citizen’s complaint can be filed by anyone who feels an agency or ESIT provider has violated a requirement, policy, or procedure.
Email Wen Harris at Wendy.Harris@kingcounty.gov for more information.