King County will close a section of NE Novelty Hill Road from July 6 through July 24 for slide repairs, and a section of West Snoqualmie Valley Road NE in August for culvert replacement work. The County also will conduct nighttime single lane closures in the same area for paving work during late June and July.
A signed detour will be in place during the Novelty Hill Road slide repair closure. The detour will add approximately 15 minutes to each trip. Emergency response access will be maintained throughout construction.
Drivers who use NE Novelty Hill Road between Redmond Ridge and Duvall should expect travel delays this summer due to pavement resurfacing, slide repairs and culvert replacement work in the area.
Starting on July 6, King County Roads will return to the slide-prone area on NE Novelty Hill Road, between 243rd Ave NE and West Snoqualmie Valley Road NE, to permanently shore up the unstable hillside that caused the road’s temporary closure earlier this year. This section of road will be fully closed for three weeks.
In late June and July, the County also will close single lanes at night for paving work on NE Novelty Hill Road between 234th Place NE and 243rd Ave NE. Sections of West Snoqualmie Valley Road NE between NE Woodinville-Duvall Road and the King-Snohomish County line were repaved earlier this month.
During the month of August, the County will close West Snoqualmie Valley Road NE from just north of NE 124th Street to NE Woodinville-Duvall Road for four weeks to replace a worn-out underground drainage culvert. Local access will be maintained throughout the closure.
NE Novelty Hill Road – CLOSED between 243rd Ave NE and West Snoqualmie Valley Road NE
- The County will close both directions of NE Novelty Hill Road between 243rd Ave NE and West Snoqualmie Valley Road NE around the clock for three weeks. A signed detour will direct eastbound traffic to Avondale Road NE.
- Work could begin as early as 9 a.m. Monday, July 6 and reopen by 5 p.m. Friday, July 24. Some single-lane closures may be required before and after the major road repair.
- In addition to allowing plenty of travel time during the closure, the County reminds drivers to be respectful of nearby residential neighborhoods by following the posted detour and speed limit signs.
- When the road reopens, the five-ton weight restriction for trucks will be lifted.
Nighttime paving work on Novelty Hill Road
- June 29 through July 24: NE Novelty Hill Road (between 234th Place NE and 243rd Ave NE);
- Work hours are 7 p.m. to 5 a.m.
- Flaggers will direct traffic around the active work zone.
- Motorists should expect some delays while crews are paving.
- Road paving requires dry conditions, this work could be rescheduled due to the weather.
West Snoqualmie Valley Road NE – CLOSED from just north of NE 124th Street to NE Woodinville-Duvall Road
- In early August, the County will close both directions of West Snoqualmie Valley Road NE from just north of NE 124th Street to NE Woodinville-Duvall Road around the clock for four weeks. Local access will be maintained.
- There will not be a posted detour. Motorists should plan to use an alternate route, such as State Route 203, to drive around the closure.
- During construction, NE Novelty Hill Road and NE 124th Street will remain open and both directions of West Snoqualmie Valley Road NE will be open south of NE 124th Street.
King County will coordinate closures with other state and local construction projects in the area.