Call 206-477-1050 voice|TTY
Physical mail sent to the Ombuds Office may be delayed: 810 3rd Ave, Suite 705, Seattle, WA 98104
The Whistleblower Protection Code (KCC 3.42) is a way for King County employees to report suspected improper governmental action. Improper governmental action means any action by a county employee while performing official duties that also meets one of the following criteria:
- violates county, state or federal law or rule
- constitutes an abuse of authority
- constitutes gross mismanagement
- creates a substantial danger to the public health or safety
- results in a gross waste of public funds
- prevents the dissemination of scientific opinion or alters technical findings without scientifically valid justification.
Employees who, in good faith, report improper governmental action, or who cooperate in a whistleblower investigation, are protected from retaliation.
Where to report varies depending upon the type of improper governmental action. We encourage employees to contact us before filing a whistleblower or retaliation complaint.
- Whistleblower guide [.pdf]
- Whistleblower Protection Code Summary [.pdf]
- Whistleblower Complaint Form [.pdf]
- Whistleblower Retaliation Complaint Form [.pdf]
Alternate formats for persons with disabilities available upon request.