Public Records Policy
Request a Public Record
We are now using GovQA, a new public records system. After you create an account, you can make and track all your requests for King County public records in one place.
Our five-day commitment
Within five business days of receiving your request, we will:
- Provide the record(s), or
- Acknowledge your request and give you a reasonable estimate of how long it will take to give you the records, or
- Deny all or part of the request, or redact part of the information, telling you the specific reason why we can’t disclose it.
Alternative ways to request records
Call us at 206-477-1050.
You can view records at no charge, by appointment, during our business hours: Monday – Friday, 8:30 a.m.-4:30 p.m. You may not remove, separate into pieces, or change any documents.
Best practices for requests
Be sure to give a detailed description of the records you want, as well as your contact information.
For example, if you filed a complaint with this office, your request might look like this:
- Please give me the complete case file in Ombuds Case # [number], or
- Please give me all correspondence between the Ombuds Office and the Department of Permitting and Environmental Review regarding Permit # [number], which concerns an application to clear and grade a portion of my property, located at [address].
If you have a request for another department, request it directly from them.
Public Records Officer
Janet Masuo is the public records officer for the Legislative Branch. To make a records request to the Legislative Branch, please contact:
Janet Masuo at Clerk.firstname.lastname@example.org
Clerk of the Council’s Office
Metropolitan King County Council
King County Courthouse
516 Third Avenue, Room 1200
Seattle, WA 98104
(206) 296-0198 fax
For requests seeking records from the Office of the Ombuds, you may also contact:
Trang Tran at Ombuds.PRA@kingcounty.gov
710 Second Avenue, Suite 790
Seattle, WA 98104
(206) 296-0948 fax
Alternate formats for persons with disabilities available upon request.