Sewage treatment capacity charge
Growth paying for growth
Please note: the online payment system is down for scheduled maintenance every 3rd Sunday of the month, 6:00 a.m. - at 11:30 a.m. PST, and every 3rd and 4th Thursday of the month, 5:00 p.m. - 7:00 p.m. PST.
Since 1990, King County has levied a capacity charge on structures with new connections to the sanitary sewer system. This charge is paid in addition to the monthly sewer bill assessed by the local sewer district.
The capacity charge:
- Is charged for new connections to the sanitary sewer system.
- Helps King County cover the costs of sewer improvements and expansions.
- Does not exceed the cost of capital facilities necessary to serve new connections to the sewer system.
- Is billed directly by King County.
- Can be paid off at any time, in a lump sum, at a discount.
Elected officials, sewer utility representatives and jurisdiction officials were all involved in King County’s decision to implement a capacity charge to ensure that “growth pays for growth."
Customer service hours are 8 a.m. - 4:30 p.m., Monday - Friday.