About PDF maps
= standard PDF map
Viewable in most web browsers, PDF (portable document format) files can also be saved to computers for viewing in the free Adobe Acrobat Reader , and to PDF reader apps on desktop and mobile devices.
= geospatial PDF map
Geospatial PDF files can be loaded into the free mobile app, PDF Maps , which provides a portable way to view the maps anywhere while taking advantage of many additional features.
- View your location on a map using your device’s GPS
- Plot placemarks and enter attribute data and notes; export as KML, CSV, or GPX files; import placemarks
- Track real-time movement with GPS (includes speed and elevation statistics); save, export and import tracks (as KML)
- Plot geotagged photos
- Search for points of interest within the map extent
- Measure, find coordinates, orient using the Compass, and more
- Available for Apple iOS and Android (and a beta version for Windows Phone)
To download geospatial PDF maps (after installing the PDF Maps app)
Map links that begin with “pdfmaps:” will launch PDF Maps and load the map automatically. The links to geospatial PDF maps in the Virtual Map Counter are formatted this way.