Vets 4 HIRE Program
Heroes in Reintegration Experiences
King County’s goal to be the best-run government in the country is creating an atmosphere of innovation that attracts dedicated people from across the nation. We're creating an environment where people come together to solve problems and get results. We value the leadership skills, teamwork, problem-solving, mission orientation and multi-cultural awareness that veterans and military service personnel offer.
We believe the talent, experiences and perspectives of veterans and military service personnel can support us in achieving this goal.
What the Vets 4 HIRE Program offers
- Year-round part-time or full-time structured learning immersion in a variety of fields and levels within King County government
- Valuable hands-on and practical work experience that helps secure future employment with King County or other civilian employers
- A supportive transition experience with access to a variety of support services
- An initial six month paid learning experience with a possible extension up to a total of 2080 hours
- Competitive pay based on military rank held and education level
- An ORCA card that pays the fare for public transportation
- Medical benefits for positions that are funded to work 30 or more hours each week
The King County Vets 4 HIRE Program is made possible by funding from the Veterans, Seniors & Human Services Levy.
- A person who served on Active Duty, in the National Guard, or Reserve component of any branch of the Armed Forces of the United States, including the Coast Guard, and retired or separated from the military with a characterization of discharge of Honorable, General Under Honorable, Other Than Honorable, or Uncharacterized; OR,
- A person who currently serves on Active Duty, not including National Guard or Reserve service members who have been activated for federal service; OR,
- A person who currently serves in the National Guard or Reserve component of any branch of the armed forces of the United States, including the Coast guard, and either, has fulfilled the initial military service obligation, or was activated for federal service for purposes other than training.
- A person who is a King County resident at time of hire
If you have questions about these eligibility requirements, please contact the King County Veterans Services Program at 206-477-7022
King County offers offers veteran fellows, and all other employees including regular career service, appointed, temporaries and student interns, with generous Uniformed Services Employment and Reemployment Rights Act of 1994 (USERRA) benefits. This includes
- 21-days of paid uniformed services leave per military fiscal year
- Differential pay while on active duty
- Medical, dental, vision, and life insurance benefits for a uniformed services leave of absence beyond 30-calendar days (only for benefit eligible positions)
- Continued accrual of vacation and sick leave while on uniformed services leave (only for benefit eligible positions)
We fill 16 Vets 4 HIRE experiences each year in a variety of career fields. As positions become created they will be listed on the King County Careers webpage, so check back regularly. To be notified of Vets 4 HIRE positions as they become available, sign up on our email list.
Positions will be filled through the general Vets 4 HIRE Program, specific Veteran Fellow or combined Student Intern/Veteran Fellow job postings. Make sure to apply to all Veteran Fellow or Vets 4 HIRE Program job postings (i.e., the general application - if posted - and any role-specific application of interest).
We can only accept applications when Vets 4 HIRE job postings are listed.
Construction Management Veteran Fellow (Continuous)
Lean Program Management Veteran Fellow (Continuous)
For more information about the Vets 4 HIRE Program, email Vets4HIRE@kingcounty.gov or call Susan Navetski, Program Manager, at 206-477-3271.