Skip to main content
King County logo
View current King County WTD incident responses.

Sewer construction issues

King County's Wastewater Treatment Division has committed to public health and water quality by investing in dozens of vital sewer improvement projects every year. During construction, public involvement staff are available to respond to your concerns (view map of projects).


Sewage spill response

Sewage spills are most often caused by clogged or broken pipes belonging to private owners. On rare occasions, problems in the local or county sewer system can result in sewage spills on private property.

  For overflows occurring from local sewer lines...
call your local sewer agency. The phone number for your local agency can be found in your sewer bill.
  For guidance in the event of a sewage spill in your home...
refer to the sewage spill response page.
  For overflows occurring in the regional system (overflows from maintenance holes that say "METRO" on the lid, or near King County pump stations)...
call the King County Wastewater Treatment Division at
  • 206-263-3801 (in Seattle, Lake Forest Park, Kenmore, Shoreline), or

Odor complaint

Odor complaints

We make every effort to respond to odor complaints promptly.

  For odors occurring in homes, businesses, and local storm drains...
call your local sewer agency. The phone number for your local agency can be found in your sewer bill.
  For odors that can't be specifically located...
call the closest King County treatment plant's odor control hotline for assistance.
Complaints for water bodies outside the King County wastewater system

Sewage complaint investigations relating to septic systems

Drainage or water quality problems not related to the King County wastewater system

In the City of Seattle:

  • Contact the 24-hour emergency service line at  206-386-1800

In greater King County:

To report a problem with streams, rivers, lakes, or the Puget Sound

  • Contact Ecology Northwest Regional Office:  206-594-0000 or report a spill .

Staff and equipment used for an response to sewer line issue.

Know what's below. Call 811 before you dig.

Worker observing a back how excavate a trench for a sewer extension.The King County Local Public Agency (LPA) Program coordinates with 34 local sewer agencies as well as local non-sewer agencies to provide engineering support for projects that directly or may indirectly impact Wastewater Treatment Division’s sewer infrastructure.