Skip to main content
King County logo

Individual Assistance Initial Damage Assessment

King County Emergency Management is collecting information from residents and businesses in King County about damage and losses suffered during recent severe weather and flooding. If your primary residence or business was damaged by the weather, your information may help the State receive a disaster declaration that could result in individual disaster assistance.

Please read the following steps carefully before beginning your report. 

If you have questions, please contact King County Office of Emergency Management at 1-800-523-5044 or 206-296-3830 during regular business hours.

Step 1: Assess and document the damage

  • Identify and make a list of all the damages
  • Take pictures of damages
  • Estimate how much you think it will cost to repair or replace your belongings

Step 2: Call your insurance company

  • Locate your insurance policy documents (if available) and call your insurance company
  • Report damages to your insurance company - they will advise you about coverage and next steps
  • If you experience problems with your insurance provider, you may want to contact the Washington State Insurance Commissioner at or 1-800-562-6900 for assistance or to file a complaint

Step 3: File your report online

Complete an online damage report by answering the following questions. You will be asked several questions about the estimated damage to your home and belongings, as well as your insurance coverage. This information will be used to establish a county-wide damage assessment which may aid in obtaining assistance. Even if you have suffered only minor damage and do not expect to need assistance, please submit a report.

Important information to have on hand when filing your report: 

  • Your contact information
  • Address of the damaged property
  • Name of the owner or renter
  • Estimated pre-disaster value of the property (from your tax records)
  • Estimated structural damage
  • Estimated personal property loss
  • Primary cause of the damage
  • Insurance coverage for the losses and the amount of your deductible
  • Is the property habitable (safe to live in)?
  • Is the property accessible?
  • Is the damage major or minor?
  • Date and time the damage occurred
  • A description of the damage

Residential Individual Assistance Initial Reporting Form 

Business Individual Assistance Initial Reporting Form

Toll Free 1-800-523-5044

TTY Relay 711