Skip to main content
King County logo

Questions and answers regarding Plan Review preparation:

  1. Who is qualified to design and submit plans?
    Registered architects and registered professional engineers licensed in the State of Washington are qualified. The engineer or architect must also provide a construction report which verifies the project has been completed in accordance with the approved plans and specifications.

  2. What if I construct a pool facility without plan approval?
    State or local health department plan review is a requirement for legal operation of a regulated water recreation facility. In situations where pool facilities have been constructed without the required plan approval, extensive retrofitting and/or complete removal of such facilities have been and may be necessary.

  3. When are plans needed?
    A construction permit is required for swimming, spa, wading and spray pools. See "Water recreation forms and documentation" section below for form submission instructions.

Facilities which are exempt from plan review include:

  • Single family residence pools (for sole use of family & invited guests)
  • Therapeutic water facilities operated exclusively for physical therapy (under the care of a licensed medical practitioner). Such facilities are reviewed by Department of Health, Health Facilities Licensing at 360-236-2944.