Skip to main content

Plan Review process and service fees

Plan Review process and service fees

For owners/managers of pools and spas

Questions and answers regarding Plan Review preparation:

  1. Who is qualified to design and submit plans?
    Registered architects and registered professional engineers licensed in the State of Washington are qualified. The engineer or architect must also provide a construction report which verifies the project has been completed in accordance with the approved plans and specifications.

  2. What if I construct a pool facility without plan approval?
    State or local health department plan review is a requirement for legal operation of a regulated water recreation facility. In situations where pool facilities have been constructed without the required plan approval, extensive retrofitting and/or complete removal of such facilities have been and may be necessary.

  3. When are plans needed?
    • A construction permit is required for swimming, spa, wading and spray pools. See "Water recreation forms and documentation" section below for form submission instructions.
    • A remodel construction permit is required for equipment replacements that are not like for like make and model #s, main drain and suction outlet covers changes, barrier and decking replacements, restroom, and locker room remodels. For plan review inquiries, email us at
    • Decorative fountains are often mistaken for spray pools but are typically designed to be part of landscape architecture. They are not designed for public entry and recreational bathing. If the public is entering a decorative fountain, it should be regulated, operated, and managed as a splash pool under WAC 246-260-081, or the public should be discouraged from entering (for example, with a barrier or signs).

Facilities which are exempt from plan review include:

  • Single family residence pools (for sole use of family & invited guests)
  • Therapeutic water facilities operated exclusively for physical therapy (under the care of a licensed medical practitioner). Such facilities are reviewed by Department of Health, Health Facilities Licensing at 360-236-2944.