Skip to main content
Most King County offices will be closed on Monday, for Martin Luther King Day.  
King County logo

As COVID-19 restrictions ease, the King County Vital Statistics Office is open on a limited basis from 1:00-3:00 pm, Monday - Friday for pick-up ONLY of pre-ordered Will Call Request at 908 Jefferson Street in Seattle. Birth and death certificates may continue to be ordered online, by mail or over the phone. Specialists are available to answer questions over the phone at 206-897-5100 during the hours of 9:30 am -4:00 pm. More information regarding Will Call and all other services can be found on this site.

Who can order certificates

Starting January 1, 2021, a new vital records law and rules go into effect that changes the ordering requirements for birth and death certificates.

  • For increased security of personal information, only individuals with specific relationships to the person on the record being requested can receive a certified copy.
  • Identity and proof of relationship documentation will be required. Exact documentation is still to be determined.
  • Certificate fee will increase to $25.00 per copy.

Open hours

Monday - Friday, 8:00 am - 4:30 pm. Specialists are available to answer questions over the phone between 9:30 am - 4:00 pm.

Visit us for same-day service: Metered street parking is available in the area. Parking in the Ninth & Jefferson Building garage is free for the first thirty minutes.

Harborview Medical Center
Ninth & Jefferson Building, 2nd Floor
908 Jefferson St
Seattle, WA 98104

Phone: 206-897-5100 or 800-325-6165
Fax: 206-897-4580

Mailing address

Use this address only if you are mailing us a document. We are not physically located at 325 9th Ave.

Vital Statistics
HMC Box 359784
325 9th Ave
Seattle, WA 98104-2499


  • Birth certificate orders
    Records available for all persons born in Seattle or King County and Washington state births registered from 1907 to present.
  • Death certificate orders
    Records available for all persons who died in Seattle city limits (all years); all persons who died in King County from 1944 to the present; and, all Washington state deaths that were filed electronically starting from 2005.
  • Making changes to certificates
    Making edits to birth and death records and how to get a Paternity Acknowledgment form.