Skip to main content
Most King County offices will be closed on Monday, for Memorial Day.  
King County logo

Minor in Possession of Alcohol (MIP)-Diversion Program: This office has implemented a diversion program for those who commit the offence of Minor in Possession of Alcohol (MIP). This program is offered to individuals between the ages of 18 and 20 who have been arrested for the crime of Minor in Possession of Alcohol and who face being charged in adult criminal court.*  The program works as follows:

When we receive an MIP case from the police, we send the individual a letter instructing them to contact and sign up with a State Certified Alcohol and Drug Information School (A.D.I.S). The individual is given a period of 90 days to sign up and complete an A.D.I.S. class.

When an individual completes A.D.I.S. he/she must then send a copy of their completion certificate to the Prosecutor's mailing address (see below). It is the responsibility of the individual to ensure that the Prosecutor receives proof of completion. Once class completion has been verified, no criminal charges will be filed in King County's District Court and the case will be closed.

However, if for any reason the individual declines to enroll in the program or doesn't complete their A.D.I.S class, their case will be reviewed for criminal prosecution in District Court and charges will likely be filed.  This could result in a conviction for MIP, a crime that carries a maximum penalty of one year in jail and a $5,000 fine.

This is a great opportunity for individuals ages 18-20 to avoid criminal prosecution for this charge.

Send copy of completion certificate with a copy of your MIP diversion letter to:

    King County Prosecuting Attorney
    W554 King County Courthouse
    516 Third Avenue
    Seattle, WA 98104-2362
    Attention:District Court Unit

* Juveniles under the age of 18 who have been arrested for MIP should contact juvenile court, 206-296-9025, regarding juvenile diversion programs.

King County Prosecutor
Leesa Manion (she/her)


Social media channels: