Skip to main content

Ex Parte and Probate

Ex Parte and Probate is a special department of Superior Court. We are responsible (by Local Court Rules) for certain short and emergency matters. Learn more about what we do and how we may be able to help you.

We hear cases and proceedings including:

  • Probate
  • Guardianship and Conservatorship (when someone is appointed by a court to make decisions and act for someone else)
  • Trusts (overseeing a trustee's right to hold title to and manage property or assets for another party)
  • Minor or Incapacitated Adult settlements
  • Adoptions
  • Temporary restraining and Family Law orders
  • Requests for temporary civil protection orders
  • Other matters not assigned to a judge

King County Superior Court requires that certain ex parte matters be presented via the Clerk.

How to Ex Parte via Clerk

Hearings - Ex Parte and Probate

Learn more about scheduling and preparing for your hearings.

Procedures - Ex Parte and Probate

All current ways to finalize Family Law matters, adoptions, guardianships, trusts, and probates through Ex Parte.

Emergency Motions - Ex Parte and Probate

How to apply for and schedule cases needing fast response including restraining orders or when there is an immediate risk for harm.

Guardianship - Ex Parte and Probate

Learn more about registering as a guardian ad litem and how to become a minor's guardian.