Vets 4 HIRE Program
Heroes in Reintegration Experiences
King County’s goal to be the best-run government in the country is creating an atmosphere of innovation that attracts dedicated people from across the nation. We're creating an environment where people come together to solve problems and get results. We value the leadership skills, teamwork, problem-solving, mission orientation and multi-cultural awareness that veterans and military service personnel offer.
We believe the talent, experiences and perspectives of veterans and military service personnel can support us in achieving this goal.
What the Vets 4 HIRE Program offers
- Year-round part-time or full-time structured learning immersion in a variety of fields within King County government
- Valuable hands-on and practical work experience that helps secure future employment with King County or other civilian employers
- A supportive transition experience with access to a variety of support services
- An initial six month paid learning experience with a possible extension up to a total of 2,080 hours (which is equivalent to one year at 40 hrs/week)
- Competitive pay based on highest military rank held or education level
- Ability to join King County's Veterans and Military Affinity Group to network with current/former military employees across the county
- Access to King County's Mentorship Program, Learning and Develpment offerings, and Career Support Services
The King County Vets 4 HIRE Program receives funding from the Veterans, Seniors & Human Services Levy (VSHSL). The VSHSL promotes healthy living, financial stability, social engagement, housing stability, and service system access for veterans, seniors, and vulnerable populations.
- A person who has served as either an active duty or a reservist member of the U.S. Army, Navy, Marines, Air Force, Coast Guard, or National Guard.
If you have questions about this eligibility requirement, please contact the King County Veterans Services Program at 206-477-7022
The Vets 4 HIRE Program offers participants several benefits:
- .025 hours of sick leave accruals for each hour worked
- Medical, dental, and vision benefits (for the veteran and their qualifying dependents) for positions that are projected to work 30 or more hours per week (not available to positions projected to work less than 30 hours per week)
- ORCA bus pass
- Please note, veteran fellow positions are not eligible for vacation leave, holiday pay, or retirement programs
Veteran fellows are paid based on highest military rank held or education level as outlined below. The pay rates listed are for 2023.
- Veteran Fellow I - $19.33 - $24.50 - High School graduate; or pursuing a bachelor’s degree; or enlisted grade E1 – E3
- Veteran Fellow II - $21.77 - $27.59 - Possess a bachelor’s degree; or pursuing a master’s degree; or enlisted grade E4 – E6
- Veteran Fellow III - $27.59 - $34.97 - Completed master’s degree; or held an Officer rank, or enlisted grade E7 – E9
Military DutyKing County employees are afforded certain rights and privileges related to uniformed service.
All employees, including Veteran Fellows, called to active duty or annual training receive:
- Up to 21 days paid uniformed services leave per military fiscal year (RCW 38.40.060)
- Re-employment rights under the Uniformed Services Employment and Reemployment Rights Act of 1994 (USERRA)
Comprehensive leave eligible positions receive: (STT, veteran fellow and student intern positions are not eligible)
- Differential pay while called to active duty or active-duty training
- Continued medical, dental, vision, and basic life insurance benefits
- Continued accrual of sick and vacation leave
- King County Code 3.12.260, 3.12.262
Useful Links for King County Careers
We created the Vets 4 HIRE Program to support veterans in making a successful transition from military to civilian employment and to provide a pipeline of skilled veteran talent for positions within King County.