Skip to main content

After Trial

After Trial

How Do I Collect My Money Judgment?

A money judgment in your favor does not necessarily mean that the money will be paid. The Court does not collect the judgment for you. If no appeal is taken and the judgment is not paid within 30 days you may file a written request with the Court requesting that a transcript of the judgment be entered into the civil docket of the Court. The cost for a transcript of judgment is $20.00. Once the fee has been paid and the case transferred to the civil docket, you may proceed with a method of collection such as garnishment of wages, bank accounts, and other monies of the defendant or an execution may be issued on cars, boats, or other personal property of the judgment debtor. Remember, the clerks cannot give you legal advice. You may need the assistance of an attorney or collection agency at this point.

If you wish to record the District Court civil judgment with a Superior Court, you will need to pay an additional $20.00 for a copy of the transcript. Other fees may be required by the superior court clerk or county auditor. Filing a copy of the judgment with the Superior Court places a lien against all real property in the name of the judgment debtor that is located in that county.

When the judgment has been paid in full you must send written notice to the District Court that the judgment has been satisfied. If the judgment was filed in Superior Court, you must send written notice to the Superior Court that the judgment has been satisfied.

Can You Appeal A Case If You Lose?

The party who files a claim or counterclaim cannot appeal unless the amount claimed exceeds $1,000. No party may appeal a judgment where the amount claimed is less than $250. If an appeal is taken to the Superior Court, the appealing party is required to follow the procedures set out in the Revised Code of Washington (RCW) 12.36 and applicable rules of appeals. The following steps must be taken within 30 days of the entry of the judgment:

  1. Prepare a written Notice of Appeal and file it with the District Court.

  2. Serve a copy of that Notice on the other parties and file acknowledgement or affidavit of service in district court.

  3. Deposit at the district court the $230 Superior Court filing fee by money order, or cashier’s check payable to the Clerk of the Superior Court and pay a $40 appeal preparation processing fees to the district court.

  4. Post a bond in a sum equal to twice the amount of the judgment and costs, or twice the amount in controversy, whichever is greater, (case or surety) at the district court.

When the appeal and bond are transferred to Superior Court, the appellant (person appealing the decision) may request that the Superior Court suspend enforcement of the judgment until after the appeal is heard.

Within 14 days of the filing of the Notice of Appeal, the District Court clerk will transmit the court record to the Superior Court clerk who will assign a new case number and notify the District Court. The District Court clerk will advise the appellant of that number, and the appellant must then contact the superior court for further instructions.

Disability Accommodations

King County District Court will provide reasonable accommodations to people with disabilities upon request. For details, refer to our Disability Accommodations page


If you have questions not answered in this brochure, call the court at 206-205-9200 between the hours of 8:30 a.m. and 4:30 p.m. (PST) Monday through Friday. A clerk will assist you with any non-legal questions.