Skip to main content

Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)

Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)

Yes. You must submit a claim for damages if you feel King County is responsible for your loss, injury, or damages.

After you submit a claim for damages, your assigned investigator will contact you within two business days. They will provide your claim number and request any other needed documents. 


Investigations vary in their length. Your investigator may contact agencies, interview witnesses, and record statements. They may examine the incident scene and review documents, too. Your investigator will do their best to set expectations for how long the process will take.

You are responsible for your medical care and expenses. If you believe King County is responsible for your injuries, you must file a claim for damages. The circumstances surrounding your injury will be investigated. If a settlement is warranted it may include your medical bills. 

Records you submit are subject to public disclosure laws. Do not send medical records with your claim form. Our investigator will request your medical records if needed.

We create a check request after a settlement is approved and we receive the properly executed original release and W-9 form. A check request normally takes five to ten working days to process, and then the check is mailed. 

At your discretion, you may ask about coverage provided by your own insurer.


Yes, but we recommend filing the claim for damages first. You can provide estimates, receipts, or other documents when your investigators requests them.

King County cannot reimburse rental vehicle costs before a claim is filed and investigated. If you choose to rent a vehicle before it is authorized, you may be responsible for that expense. The investigator must determine whether King County is responsible before authorizing a rental vehicle. Then, only the base cost plus tax of a similar size vehicle is allowable. You may consider contacting your own automobile insurance for help in the meantime. 

An in-person meeting is not needed to resolve most claims. If you want to meet in person with your investigator, please call first to make an appointment. Investigators work remotely and are not available for drop-in visits.

We consider the facts of the alleged loss, relevant laws, and the nature and extent of damages claimed. We also consider whether King County has legal responsibility and the claimant's role in the situation.

Please note your preferred language on your claim. You can submit a claim in any language. Claim forms are available in English, Spanish, Amharic, Arabic, Chinese (simplified and traditional), French, Korean, Punjabi, Russian, Serbian, Somali, Tagalog, Ukrainian, and Vietnamese. The Office of Risk Management Services will contact you through an interpreter service.

No. Workers’ compensation claims are handled by Safety and Claims Division of the Department of Human Resources. They can help answer your questions about workers' compensation claims. Get more information.


TTY Relay 711

Fax 206-296-0949