Skip to main content
Our website is changing! Starting March 31, 2023 our website will look different, but we're working hard to make sure you can still find what you need.  
King County logo

All biotechnology operations that send their wastewater to the King County sewer system need to follow the same regulations and best management practices as described in the Laboratory Waste Management Guide for managing their wastewater.

Some operations also need formal authorization to send their wastewater to the sewer.

We know that the industrial waste authorization and application process is complex. Please contact us if you have questions and our staff will be happy to assist you. If you have difficulty viewing or downloading documents, please visit Software Help.

Who needs formal authorization?

Authorization may not be required Authorization required
(see process below)
Bench (laboratory) scale operations with a daily discharge volume of process wastewater less than 25,000 gallons per day

Bench (laboratory) scale operations with a daily discharge volume of processed wastewater of at least 25,000 gallons per day 
Pilot scale operations
Full scale operations
Westpoint Lab Staff

How to get formal authorization

  1. Complete the standard Industrial Waste Program Survey .
  2. Include the Delegation of Signatory Authority form if necessary.
  3. Complete the Biotechnology Supplementary Questionnaire .
  4. Submit forms with required signatures to King County Industrial Waste.

What happens next

  1. King County will review your forms. You may be asked to complete a Standard Industrial Waste Program Wastewater Discharge Permit Application .


Your permit or letter of authorization to discharge wastewater into the sewer system may require self-monitoring. View and download the self-reporting forms.

Contact us