Skip to main content
King County logo

King County is responsible for telling organizations that send industrial wastewater to King County’s sewer system about federal hazardous waste reporting requirements. This information is provided in accordance with Title 40 CFR Part 403.8(f)(2)(iii).

Industrial wastewater comes from any business system other than toilets or sinks in bathrooms or break rooms. Some industrial wastewater contains hazardous waste, which is dangerous or potentially harmful to people or the environment. Certain hazardous wastes have been listed by the United States Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) under Resource Conservation and Recovery Action (RCRA).

Note: In addition to these federal requirements, the wastewater from your facility may be regulated or prohibited under King County Code and Washington State Code.

Who must report hazardous waste discharges

You must notify King County, EPA, and the Washington State Department of Ecology (Ecology) if your facility sends any of these substances to a King County sewer:

How to notify King County

Apply for an Industrial Waste Permit. Identifying the listed or characteristic RCRA hazardous wastes on your wastewater discharge permit application serves as notice to KCIW.

How to notify EPA and Ecology

Send this information in writing to the addresses below.

If your facility sends more than 100 kilograms of listed or characteristic hazardous waste per month to the sewer, estimate the mass and concentration of the hazardous waste in the waste stream during that calendar month, and provide an estimate of what is expected during the following twelve months.

EPA Region 10 Washington State
Director, Office of Air, Waste and Toxics
Environmental Protection Agency
1200 6th Avenue
Seattle, Washington 98101
Manager, Solid and Hazardous Waste Management Division
Department of Ecology
Mail Stop PV-11
Olympia, Washington, 98504

When to notify

  • Within 180 days from beginning to discharge the substances.
  • Within 90 days of the effective date of the published regulation whenever EPA adds additional wastes that your facility discharges to the RCRA list.
Contact us