Employee Engagement Survey
Your voice matters
2021 Employee Engagement Survey: March 8-26, 2021
Thank you for taking part in this year's survey. More than 66% of eligible employees completed the survey, and their feedback and comments are being compiled and analyzed, and the results will be shared with you in May.
The annual employee engagement survey provides an opportunity to check-in with all employees to learn what is going well and where we need to improve.
We conduct the all-employee survey annually which allows us to measure our progress in making change within the organization. By participating, you will help us measure our progress from last year and determine areas still needing improvement.
Changes from 2019
Due to the COVID-19 pandemic, the King County Employee Engagement Survey was canceled in 2020, and several smaller pulse surveys were conducted instead. Your feedback is important to us and the Employee Engagement Survey is back in 2021.
Employees who participated in previous surveys have helped make King County a better place to work, and a more effective service provider for residents. This year we've made some changes to make the survey work better for everyone:
- Everyone will take the survey electronically
- Data will be available sooner
- The action planning process has been streamlined
- Demographic questions will be more specific
Since 2015, the Employee Survey has made a noticeable difference:
What we did:
- Expanded the Bridge Fellowship, launched the Mentoring Program, and created Professional Development Scholarships.
- Engagement Action Planning has focused on: Growth and Development, Respect, and Peer culture.
- Increased diversity of top tier hires/promotions by 18%, and implemented widespread ESJ training.
- Created a well-being index and mental health strategy.
The difference it made:
- Perceptions of career advancement +14 from 48% to 62%
- Peer culture +14, from 66% to 80%
- Feeling respected +9,from 70% to 79%
- Have the skills to apply ESJ +5, from 72 to 77
- Have the support to apply ESJ +4, from 65 to 69
- We hope to see differences in 2020 data
Measurable Impact on Engagement:
- Response rate has increased +11 from 59% to 70%
- Engagement index has increased +8, from 70% to 78%
- Belief in action has increased +9, from 37% to 46% (was 48% in 2017)
|March 26||Survey period closes|
|Week of May 17||
Results shared and Action Planning starts
|May 24 to June 11||
Data review with Department Leadership teams
|May 24 to June 11||
Action Plan training
Response to the survey is happening at every level of the organization with action plans developed by teams at the department, division, workgroup and senior leader levels. Get started on creating an action plan, and track the progress made.