Alien Emergency Medical Programs (AEM)
AEM is for individuals who have a qualifying medical emergency and do not qualify for any other Apple Health program due to citizenship/immigration requirements. This includes qualified aliens who have not met the 5-year and are not exempt from the 5-year bar, nonpregnant nonqualified aliens, and undocumented individuals.
To qualify for AEM, an individual must have or need at least one of the following:
- A qualifying emergent medical condition such as emergency room care, inpatient admission, or outpatient surgery;
- A cancer treatment plan;
- Dialysis treatment;
- Antirejection medication for a postorgan transplant; or on long-term care services (LTC)*;
- Assessment and treatment for the COVID-19 virus**
Income qualifications are determined by the eligibility requirements and income listed below:
Modified Adjusted Gross Income (MAGI) Medicaid, Processed by the Washington State Health Care Authority (HCA)
- Individual is age 19 through 64
- Individual is not eligible for Medicare; and
- Follows MAGI rules established through the Healthplanfinder.
Monthly income limit for
Annual income limit for
Classic Medicaid, processed by the WA State Dept. of Social and Health Services
- Individual is age 65 or older and is not a caretaker for a child under age 19;
- Individual is eligible for Medicare; or
- Individual is receiving long-term care services and not relatable to a MAGI program.