Skip to main content
King County logo
Memorial sign

Memorial signs

The King County Memorial Sign Program strives to help reduce roadway fatalities by creating awareness while also honoring those lost as a result of roadway fatalities.

Citizens can sponsor roadside memorial signs. Each sponsorship includes two signs, two plaques, and two posts, together with the installation and maintenance over a maximum period of two years. The cost of the program is $550, paid by the sponsor.

Sponsors select one of six messages listed below for the primary sign. A secondary plaque will display either "In Memory of" together with the loved one's name or "Sponsored by" together with the loved one's name. The signs and plaques may be placed at two locations near the occurrence of the collision, one positioned for each direction of traffic travel. If the collision occurred at an intersection, the signs are located on the major roadway.


To request a memorial sign, please contact us as 206-477-8100 or by email.

Political signs

King County regulates all signs on county-owned property, easements and unincorporated road right-of-way, and unpermitted signs are not allowed in these locations. The county may remove and dispose of any unpermitted signs posted on county-owned property, easements, or road right-of-way.

Political campaign signs may be displayed on private property with the property owner's consent. If signs are posted on private property without permission, property owners can contact the campaign to ask to have the sign removed and advise the campaign about the error so it is not repeated. King County Elections, at 206-296-1565, will have the campaign's telephone number if it is not on the sign. The King County Road Services Division has no authority over signs posted on private property.

To file a formal complaint about damaged or stolen political campaign signs in unincorporated King County, contact the local King County Sheriff's Office precinct or the general number at 206-296-3311. It will be helpful to include such facts as license plate numbers, names, and witnesses to the theft. Do not call 911.

For more information

Radar speed trailers

One of the most frequent requests made to the King County Sheriff's Office and Roads is to address speeding along residential streets in unincorporated King County. Radar speed trailers can help reduce neighborhood speeding.

How do the radar speed trailers work?

A county vehicle is equipped with an electronic readerboard sign connected to a speed radar unit. The equipment is taken to the neighborhood by a county sign technician and is set up safely along the residential street. The trailer then displays the speed of vehicles as they drive by. Radar speed trailers have been shown to be very effective in reducing speeding.

What do radar speed trailers accomplish?

Radar speed trailers are an effective, inexpensive educational program that helps everyone affected by a neighborhood speeding problem, by:

  • helping speeding motorists become aware of their own violations;
  • making community members more aware of the extent of the speeding problem;
  • helping the police department prioritize their enforcement efforts.

Requesting a radar speed trailer

You can request a radar speed trailer in your neighborhood. There is no charge for this service. To schedule a radar speed trailer in your neighborhood, simply call our 24/7 Road Helpline at 206-477-8100 or email us at with your request. Please be sure to include your address and your phone number so that we may contact you to arrange a schedule for installation.

Roads sign technician and radar speed trailers.
A Roads sign technician standing next to one of the radar speed trailers.

Traffic safety reports

King County produces traffic safety reports annually in an ongoing effort to reduce the number and severity of vehicle collisions on county roadways. The reports track collision trends and assess the effectiveness of safety programs utilized by the county. The reports also detail information that is useful in determining how limited safety funds should be used and steps that can be taken to improve the safety of the traveling public.

Traffic signs

King County's traffic code (Chapter 46.04 King County Code) is based on the Washington Model Traffic Ordinance (Washington Administration Code Chapter 308-330) which is in turn based on the Manual on Uniform Traffic Control Devices, or MUTCD, developed by the Federal Highway Administration of the U.S. Department of Transportation.

The MUTCD contains standards for traffic control devices that regulate, warn, and guide road users along the highways and byways in all 50 States. Traffic control devices are important because they optimize traffic performance, promote uniformity nationwide, and help improve safety by reducing the number and severity of traffic crashes.

To report damaged traffic signs

In unincorporated King County call 206-477-8100 or 1-800-527-6237. In cities within King County, contact the public works or transportation department.

Related info

King County

Federal Highway Administration

Washington State Department of Transportation

Contact us

24/7 Road Helpline: 206-477-8100 or 1-800-527-6237

TTY Relay: 711

Twitter: @KCRoads