Skip to main content

Surface water management fee discount for low-income property owners

Storm drains flow directly to local waters. This means the stormwater is not treated or cleaned. The surface water management (SWM) fee is used to build and maintain structures that manage the stormwater that come from buildings and streets. We work with homeowners, farmers, businesses, cities and others to help prevent flooding, reduce pollution and maintain groundwater.

Who qualifies for the low-income discount?

You are eligible for a 50% discount on your annual SWM fee if you own and live on a property in unincorporated King County and your family income is equal to or less than 200% of the federal poverty level.

Please note: If you are already approved for the King County Senior Citizen and People with Disabilities Reduction in Property Taxes discount you do not need to apply for the low-income discount.  You are already receiving a 100% discount on your SWM fees.

Income guidelines to receive a low-income discount

The federal poverty level is established by the United States Health and Human Services Department. Use the table below to determine the maximum monthly income that qualifies based on your household's size.

Household size Maximum monthly income to qualify*
1 $2,510
2 $3,406.67
3 $4,303.33
4 $5,200
5 $6,096.67
6 $6,993.33
7 $7,890
8 $8,786.67

* Subject to change without notice


How do I apply for a low-income discount?

We accept applications for the low-income discount every year from August 1 through September 15.

Please check back in August.

What documents can I use to verify my eligibility?

You can use the following documents if you are already enrolled in one of the following benefit programs:

Apple Health and Medicaid

Provider One medical card with the current year's eligibility letters for all family members.

Washington Basic Food Program

Electronic Benefits Transfer (EBT) card and the current year's eligibility letters for all family members.

Temporary Assistance for Needy Families (TANF)

Provide the current year's eligibility letters for all family members.

Income documents

If you have income

A copy of 2022 tax return.  Include all back up documentation such as W-2’s, 1099’s and all applicable schedules). All Income will be taken into consideration.

If you have no income

With identification, Employment Security can verify that you received no income in the previous year.

Visit the Employment Security Department

What other support is there for low income residents of King County?

Visit the King County Assessor's Office for tax relief programs and for other programs offered by King County:

Common questions about the surface water management fee low-income discount


Rental properties are not applicable for this discount. If you own multiple properties and are also a low-income household, only the property you reside on qualifies for the discount, also known as owner-occupied.  This discount is only applicable on residential properties (rate class 1) that are assessed on a flat rate basis currently.

For questions, call 206-477-4800 or email

If you know your parcel number, we will ask for that. But if you do not know it, we can find it for you quickly. We will also ask for documents about your income.

If you want to find your parcel information, visit parcel viewer to search by address, by parcel number, or to zoom in on the map and click on a parcel. Once a parcel is selected, you will get direct links to the King County Assessor’s eReal Property report.


For questions, call 206-477-4800 or email We may be able to point you to other programs in incorporated areas or call your city office.

To see your estimated annual taxes and fees, enter your parcel number or address in the King County Assessor’s Office Taxpayer Transparency Tool or contact the Assessor’s Office.